Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Essentials & HDD Control trojans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AbbyBelle

AbbyBelle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

Recently big troubles, Toshiba laptop with McAfee totally infected with “Security Essentials 2011” and “HDD Control” respectfully. I used bleepingcomputer’s guidelines to remove both Trojans, with some effort. Safe Mode, RKill then Malwarebytes for “Security Essentials 2011”, which was a very determined infection. Safe Mode then Malwarebytes for “HDD Control”
These were my first viruses ever! My computers are well protected, I thought. I am very cautious, I thought. Very disappointed with McAfee, it’s going!
After a bit of research I believe that an older version of Java was used to carry the infections. I removed the older versions, installed the latest Java & updates.
I have also researched freebee antivirus programs which get good reviews.
Comments/ suggestions please, regarding my Java conclusion and a good free antivirus program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Java...like Windows...doesn't carry an infection...but each has security vulnerabilities (as do other installed programs).

These vulnerabilities are the reason why there are frequent security updates to each.

For protection suggestions...I refer you to the AV, Firewall, Privacy Protection Forum.

Louis

#3 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hello,
Java is software widely used and is exploited by the malware so often. It gets updated very fast to cover the security holes
So it's important to update Java as soon as update is available!
About Antivirus, try New Avast 5 free or AVG, or some trial versions of commercial antivirus!

Max

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users