Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Power Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

I have the Power Option in Control Panel (XP) set to turn monitor off after 15 minutes. Just checked and it is still checked off but screen now stays on "forever". It used to do its job just fine. My computer is very slow in shutting down and I have an unfounded fear that my computer has been hacked and some slimebag in Azurbizan has hijacked it and is sending god-knows-what thru my system. Therefore the computer is active and screen stays on so it has to dump his garbage before shutting off when I shut down. Just because I am paranoid does not mean that he is not out to get me. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Do have Hibernation enabled?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Thanx for dropping by. No, I have never had hibernation activated. The box is blank. What worries me is that I will leave desktop on with no other programs supposedly operating in background. I could hit monitor power button just as easily of course but the fact that shut down is timed with a calendar makes me think something is going on in background. Another option I guess is to stop all internet activity by activating Zone Alarm Internet activity lock. Maybe time to run ComboFix. Can I get a guru to analize the results here?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

Please do not run ComboFix unsupervised and without first being requested by a Trained Staff member. Doing so may turn your machine into nothing more then an expensive brick. :rip:

If you would like to pursue this as a possible infection then please read the instructions and post in Am I Infected? What do I do?. Along with your initial post please include a link to this thread.

Edited by ThunderZ, 25 November 2010 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users