Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my PSU is causing my computer to overheat

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aj53

Aj53

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi guys,
Basically, this is the problem.

Since the past few months, my computer has beeped 50+ times on startup, every time without fail.
The first few times it happened I was freaked out, and I looked around for any problems. However, since there were no error messages, no crashes, no lags, no graphic issues, I just ignored it. I had school papers to write and such so I couldn't afford to leave my computer off while I figured out the solution to a non-existent problem.

However, a few days ago, while playing a game, my computer started beeping like it did on startup and after 10 or so beeps it shut down. I started the computer back up again and it out-right shutdown after sitting idle on the desktop.
Now, this is where I'm a little confused. I cleaned the inside of my computer out of dust extensively, and its now to the point where I can surf the internet indefinitely and run games on the lowest settings without a crash.

This leads me to believe its either the PSU or the video card. I'm thinking its the PSU, since if the video card was dead it wouldn't let me run any settings at all, correct? Another odd thing I noticed was in the HWMonitor, there were some (What appeared to me) as funky readings.

The -12 volt railing is reading at -6, and the Tempin2 is reading at 128 c while tempin0 and 1 are running around 30-40. This is seriously concerning, that is HOT regardless of what that line is measuring, and I need to fix this pronto. I have no other computer to work from to finish all the papers and projects for my finals, but I'm afraid I'll do permanent damage to my hardware if I let this go any longer. Please get back to me fast, I'd really appreciate it.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

Here you go, and thanks again.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LQ7nRAhYWfY1IBVpO32EVDj

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Though the -12V rail is low, I'm not real concerned as this voltage is mostly a legacy voltage. The serial ports that it use to supply are now replaced by USP ports. Now it is only used in applications where it would be more expensive to replace costly equipment used in laboratory applications. Modern use for the serial port is used for equipment like a UPS.

That temperature of 128 C is definitely too high. The problem is that CPUID doesn't explain what this item is. From the information that I've found I would guess that this is the Northbridge chip.

What I would suggest is to look in the BIOS at idle to see what the temperatures are to their corresponding devices. After that run CPUID and see if you can correlate the temperatures to those of the BIOS and then post what Temnpin2 is.

I will see if I can recruit some help with a staff member that is a little more familiar with CPUID.

Is this motherboard still under warranty?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

Yes, I believe it is. Newegg discontinued it, but it says it has a 3 year parts and labor warranty from Asus.
I'll see if I can figure out what is running so hot.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Ok, I just received some information which clears this up somewhat. It would appear that Tempin2 either isn't reading the sensor, or is incapable of reading it. So there shouldn't be any problem.

#7 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

I see, that's good. Kind of worrying to be told your computer is running on such a ridiculous number.
So, any clue why my PC might be shutting down when I run games on higher settings?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

I feel that I need to explain that I'm relegated to a dialup connection, because of this I average 26.4Kb/s. I tried to download the user's manual for your motherboard, but the Asus site failed three times before I tossed it in. You need to get your manual out and see what the beep codes are to determine what is happening.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

You will need to determine the exact number of beeps and their sequence. Simply beeping 50 times is highly unlikely if its 1 beep repeatedly then it could be as simple as a stuck key on the keyboard. After determining if its 3 beeps then a pause then 3 beeps etc look up the number found below and see what the possible cause is. If you are unable to determine the beep code and the system remains unstable you could try re seating the memory, and the processor with applying new thermal compound.

8.2 POST BIOS Beep Codes
Number of Beeps Description

1 Memory refresh timer error.

3 Base memory read/write test error

6 Keyboard controller BAT command failed

7 General exception error (processor exception interrupt error)
8 Display memory error (system video adapter)

8.2.1 Troubleshooting POST BIOS Beep Codes
Number of Beeps
Troubleshooting Action
1, 3
Reseat the memory, or replace with known good modules.
6, 7
Fatal error indicating a serious problem with the system. Consult your system manufacturer. Before declaring the motherboard beyond all hope, eliminate the possibility of interference by a malfunctioning add-in card. Remove all expansion cards except the video adapter.
• If beep codes are generated when all other expansion cards are absent, consult your system manufacturer’s technical support.
• If beep codes are not generated when all other expansion cards are absent, one of the add-in cards is causing the malfunction. Insert the cards back into the system one at a time until the problem happens again. This will reveal the malfunctioning card.
If the system video adapter is an add-in card, replace or reseat the video adapter. If the video adapter is an integrated part of the system board, the board may be faulty.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Sorry I took so long to reply to this, finals in school are just around the corner, so it's busy busy. I'll try recording the beeps at startup, because I honestly can't find a pattern. I'll also see if I can find time to reseat the RAM and CPU.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

I totally understand the school situation I too will be starting finals in a few weeks.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Okay, so an update.
I took out the individual ram sticks, the computer still beeped on start up.
I also took the video card and it still beeped.

So this kind of narrows it down to either the PSU or the CPU, unless there is something I don't know. Hopefully I'll get a recording of the beeps tomorrow for you all.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Look in the event viewer to see if there any errors being reported at the time that these beeps are occurring.

#14 Aj53

Aj53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

Okay, sorry if I took too long to get back on this, finals are over and I've got plenty of time to work on this, so if anybody could get back to me I'd really appreciate it :)

I recorded the sounds the computer makes at startup, here they are. I hope somebody can find a pattern I'm not hearing in this.

Only other thing I can add to what I've talked about so far is I've noticed I'm seeing memory errors on the desktop before the computer shuts down completely. I don't know if this is directly related, or simply because of the sudden shutdown process causing those errors.

EDIT: Having trouble attaching the sound file, one moment..
http://www.mediafire.com/?88ab7va4pb3kro2

Edited by Aj53, 15 December 2010 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users