Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp/2000 Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sanhi2u

sanhi2u

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

Hello,
I hope someone can help me out. So I have this small network with a total of 4 computers: 2 Windows 2000 Professional, 1 Windows XP Home, 1 Windows XP Professional. I struggle for a while to get them all to see each other on the same workgroup, but finally working it out....I think. I keep having connection problems with the XP Home pc. Every couple of days it will not let you access the mapped drives to the other computers and the other computers can't see it, but the 2000 and XP Professional computers can always see each other. I usually have to re-map everything. Is there something I am missing here? Did I not connect/map them together properly in the first place?
The only way I could get them to see each other was to enable the guest account and create a mapped drive to each computer with the guest user id and password. All of the computers log in with the same user id and password (not the guest) but I can't connect to either of the XP computers with that id/pw. So I guess my first problem might be the mapped drive connection. Then there is the lost of connection to the XP Home computer. Any help would be great.

Edited by sanhi2u, 29 November 2005 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

The number one reason why computers have trouble networking is firewall issues. What kind of firewalls are you using (if any). Are they activated? What are the settings?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 sanhi2u

sanhi2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

No Firewalls active. Both of the XP computers have the Firewall turned off and I never installed a Firewall on the 2000 computers. The only active Firewall is the one on the router (Linksys model: WRT54GS). As far as I know that is only active for internet activities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users