Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikepin

mikepin

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

Hello BC! I have windows xpsp2 on a dell dimension desktop/256mb ram/pentium 4 2.66ghz.
My problem is that I cannot seem to get the update for Corel wordperfect Office 11.
I get to the update site and have to install an active x control and then I get a blank page with
this error text:

Incorrect product GUID pattern error. Incoming product GUID=unset

I have no idea what to do after that and all I can seem to do is just close the page and try again
but with same result.
Help,
Mikepin :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

mikepin,

From what I've been able to determine it appears that the install shield is corrupted. I'm not sure if an uninstall/reinstall of Corel will fix that or not. Hope this gives you something to work with.

Be (Install Shield) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

TY for the help so far Animal :thumbsup: Went to add/remove progs and clicked change. Told me to install cd then gave a repair option. Clicked repair...restarted...got back online and tried to update....nope. I got a window up that said;

[font=Comic Sans Ms][i]The update service agent failed to install properly. In order for
the update agent to properly install you must be adminstrator( i am ) and you must be using your brower default settings. press ok and try again to show updates through usa or cancel to connect without usa. If
you close to proceed without agent you will not be able to see some updates.

[font=Arial Black] There is also a active x install bar below the browser bar (information bar?) where right click and click install is available. No matter what I do at this point I still get this:

Incorrect product GUID pattern error. Incoming product GUID=unset

Same as before. Should I just re-install/install instead of repair and try again? :flowers:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:18 PM

mikepin,

Yes, I'd uninstall/reinstall since repair is not working. One thing I might suggest, is to disconnect your internet connection, to your computer. Uninstall Corel via control panel. Then make sure you don't have any programs running except those in the background. Disable your AV and try a reinstall. For some reason, I'm getting a sense that your AV may have corrupted your original install of Corel. After you reinstall Corel, restart your AV then reconnect to the internet. Then do your updates. If that doesn't solve the problem you'll need to contact Corel, or maybe someone here has another idea. I can't think of what else it might be. hth

Be (reinstall) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

mikepin: Is there an automated update that you are using? Perhaps it is not configured to point to the right update location.

Did you try this link - Corel Downloads

If you already did, follow Animals excellent advice.

Take care,

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 November 2005 - 09:00 PM.

JC

#6 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:29 PM

I looked at task manager and yes Corupd.exe running the processes. I assume this an update.exe file.
I have gotten the "update availiable" window before as well so I think it is trying to update but even when
it happens automatically it still has the same failure. I went to the corel download link you provided and it did begin to install the update. I canceled because of time but intend to try later (dl is well over an hour on dial up). I'll let you know there...if I have to. Gonna try uninstall/reinstall like Animal suggested first...process of elimination at this point it seem's.

Speaking of updates I'll let ya know! :thumbsup:

#7 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Well guys thanks for the help. I just gave up and uninstalled but I think
it was just the wrong update trying (for some reason) to update. Why didn't
it provide the xpsp2 version update is beyond me but the automatic update
was providing the xpsp1 version of it and that could have been the problem.
The update for xpsp2 was availiable at Corel downloads I realized after uninstall.
Anyway, it was a seldom used prog anyway and I have another writing prog so
tp heck with it.
Thanks again guys! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users