Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Motherboard info

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:45 AM

I want to add a new graphics card to my computer, but have no idea what one would be compatible. I need to know what motherboard is installed, and I can't find out. I have a CPUZ report, and am hoping someone can tell me where to look for the information I need:
Posted Image

I have previously been informed that A: the chipset is not the same as the motherboard, and B: the chipset IS the motherboard. Would really appreciate someone helping clear this matter up for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

I have previously been informed that A: the chipset is not the same as the motherboard, and B: the chipset IS the motherboard. Would really appreciate someone helping clear this matter up for me.

the manufacture[Lenovo] and the model[Grantsdale] would be the motherboard ,
so is this a laptop.or a desktop computer ,you best option is to contact Lenovo with the make and model # of your computer ,good luck

Edited by caperjac, 25 November 2010 - 06:03 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

Unfortunately, Lenovo can't be bothered. And, the tech support where I would be purchasing the graphics card (tried three different outlets!) all say that they can't accept "Grantsdale" as a being the model of the motherboard. And, it's a desktop.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

You can take a photo of the motherboard inside of your desktop.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

What model of Lenovo is it? If there is no identification of model and you don't want to open the case, other software may identify better, for example SIW:

http://www.gtopala.com/

Grantsdale is the Intel Chipset used on the motherboard.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

This is all the info I know: Lenovo ThinkCentre E50 Series Type 8291 If there's something else I should have, I'm not sure where to find the info.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

I stand corrected. :whistle:

Edited by dc3, 27 November 2010 - 03:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

Notebook? Didn't he mention it was a desktop?

Would this be your computer? http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/lenovo-thinkcentre-e50-8291/1707-3118_7-31766835.html
So the expansion slots are

1.0 ( 3.0 ) x PCI - Low-profile

If I'm not mistaken, you can get a graphics card but only one compatible with PCI (pretty outdated) and a small-ish one.

#9 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

I think it may be. I don't understand the stuff about PCI tho. The problem, as I stated in the first post, is that the techs who should be helping me to find a compatible graphics card are telling me that "Grantsdale" (which is what is listed as the motherboard model) is not the model. And, I just don't know enough about computer stuff (learning, but very slowly) to figure it out for myself.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:28 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer, this will take all of the guess work out of this.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:05 AM

I hope this is what you need.

My link

Edited by wicky, 27 November 2010 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users