Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Re-installed XP after failed recovery....now what?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sheada74

sheada74

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

After weeks of battling a bad sector in my main hard drive, Running about every recommended spy/mal/registry/root and check disk 4 billion times only to realize that something was really bad with my computer. This forum was outstanding in trying to help me fix but we came to the realization that my HD was going bad.

I came home today after using my computer earlier with no problems and had a system32.dll error and said it needed to reboot. When it did, I got the blue screen of death and a stop message. Tried rebooting every way possible to no avail.

Finally found my xp recovery cd and launched it. Finally figured out how to get to c: prompt from there and ran chkdsk. It confirmed what I already knew- bad sectors in c:drive and I then did chkdsk /r and it took hours but said there were no known issues after that!!!

Then I had to go through a series of reboots only to get the blue screen of death again!!! Then I booted from cd again, did a recovery and decided to re-install xp again.

I have a c: drive 500mb, d: drive 80mb that I have never used and a e:drive where I store all my music and pictures.

The recovery console gave me options and naturally I chose cdrive to reinstall and then got scared when it told me that it would delete all files and operating system of I did this!!!! I then decided to use that d and u d: drive just to load xp on to see if I could at least load xp on my computer so I could do one last backup before I dump this piece of computer!!!

I was able to backup but now I am running xp on a drive that doesn't have much memory and none of my programs are installed and I can't access the Internet at all now- I am on verizon fios. What a mess!!!! I think chkdsk fixed my old c:drive however I can't run on that now! In setup F2 it just shows one Sata drive even though I have three!

Dell Dimension 9200 2006 model running XP

I originally got a dns search engine change virus that consequently turned into a damaged sector in my hard drive and a whole bunch of other weird things that happened. Chkdsk in xp would run nonstop after each reboot and say that the volume was dirty. This had been going on for weeks as I've been nursing it along.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trebormuhaha

trebormuhaha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:44 AM

Well you should go to the dell website and download the drivers for your network card that is my guess as to why you have no internet

Once you have the network card driver download all the others and install them 2

When a drive has a bad sector I bin it asap. You could how ever download UBCD and run the manufactures tool to fix the bad sectors just to get you by until you can get a new hdd

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You will need to burn it and boot off the cd this will take A LONG TIME to recover the drive so don't stress if it goes for 5 to 20 hours any less then 5 and you are cheering
Best things since sliced bread

Download UBCD here
UBCD

Trend Micro House Call make sure those nasty little buggers are gone
Click here

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

Bad sectors...do not indicate a need to replace a hard drive.

Bad sector (Wikipedia) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the system. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system...the command will run...upon completion, the system will boot into Windows.

Louis

#4 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

I can't access the Internet!!! If I could I probably wouldn't be on my iPhone typing this.

I can only load the windows recovery console and replace my current xp on my d:drive which overrides everything I have on there.

Currently the only xp successfully loaded in on my third tiny drive.

Do I just move forward with my main drive and not worry about overriding everything? Will I ever be able to get this back to normal?

#5 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

I did run chkdsk again and it said it found no problems and restarted.... I am in the process of reinstalling xp on my main drive

#6 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Got xp loaded and now it's asking for a freaking password to login!!!!! WTF? I have never had a password on thus computer to login... Why us it asking for one now and does anyone know what it might be? I went through the xp setup page put my name and language in etc time zone and I get to this page where my name is there and xp won't load till I enter a password! So very frustrating!!!!

#7 AlanofNottinghamUK

AlanofNottinghamUK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

I think I've come across this in XP in the past. You may be able to move forward by simply hitting the enter key having left the password field blank. Apologies if you've already tried this!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

AlanlofNottinghamUK is correct. If no password has been assigned, then pressing Enter on your keyboard should take care of that part.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Tried just enter and nothing! How could there be a password when I have never entered one?

#10 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I was able to boot in safe mode and get into the other hard drive and change user settings in control panel. Now I'm running chkdsk and trying to reboot the correct drive that all my stuff is on

#11 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

Wouldn't boot- blue screen of death trying recovery again

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

Well...it might be time to run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive. Your hard drive may have problems far more significant than bad sectors. Sounds like it.

<<...but we came to the realization that my HD was going bad...>>

Well...if you never ran the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...I don't see how that was possible. A system that has been infected...could have had any number of things wrong, including damaged/corrupt recovery/restore partition.

I would have run the diagnostic...if that proved satisfactory, I would have done a clean install of XP.

Louis

#13 sheada74

sheada74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

Ran diagnostic several times- bad sectors dirty volume.... Ran the toshiba hdd tool and said there were errors.

Cannot install a clean version of xp on that drive.... Can you help me do that? I've tried 15 times.... Still get blue screen now. Tried it several different ways too.

#14 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Sounds to newbie me like you will want to back up your data and install a new drive.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

If this hdd is failing I would suggest not using it any more than is necessary until you have all of your important data backed up on removable media. Such as another hdd, CDs, DVDs, flash drive...

It would be interesting to go into the BIOS to see if S.M.A.R.T. is enabled. If it isn't, enable it and see if it reports SMART failed or SMART bad when the computer goes through the POST.

Edited by dc3, 28 November 2010 - 11:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users