Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Folder on C Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bep713

bep713

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

Hello everyone. I'm a new user here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Anyway, I decided it was time to clean up my XP and i went to the C drive and noticed a suspicious folder named Internet. I don't think this is the temporary internet folder, because I located that where it normally is: inside the WINDOWS folder. However, after searching google I can't seem to find anyone who had this. I investigated the contents of the folder and there are many subfolders that appear to be internet addresses, ex: 0.gvt0.com. Now, what's weird about it is that when clicking it there are two more subfolders and then there is the most random picture ever: what appears to be a Japanese picture of a man on a mo-ped. Now, believe me when I say I don't visit Japanese websites or anything like that. It had to be the most random thing I've seen. I went through and most of the folders are like this. When right-clicked on it says the file was created on October 21, 2008. Most of the files were created on that date. The total file size of this Internet folder is roughly 33 MB.

So what I was ultimately wondering is: am I just missing something here and this is actually a temporary internet files location or is this something else and is it safe to delete? Thanks in advance for your time and Happy Thanksgiving!

-bep713

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2010 - 09:03 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Well...it might help if we knew the full path for this folder :).

Names are not the best criterion to use...when reviewing the possibilities.

Louis

#3 bep713

bep713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Ahhhh that might help! haha. The path of the Internet folder is C:\Internet. It shows up right next to Documents and Settings and Program Files. In other words when I click on My Computer and click the C drive its right there. Thanks for your time and Happy Thanksgiving!
-bep713

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

I've never heard of a C:\Internet folder...so I would guess that you have a problem situation.

I think I'd start a post in the Am I Infected forum, just because I don't like the idea of new paths appearing on my systems.

If you want to do that...I can move this topic.

Louis

#5 bep713

bep713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi Louis,
That would be very helpful if you could, thanks. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users