Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2011

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

Last time I checked (probably a couple years ago), AVG was one of the best free antivirus around, as it was very fast and effective.
Now with newer versions and especially AVG 2011 rolling around, does it seem to be a little bloated? The user interface itself is taking a little longer to open, and there's usually 3-4 processes under AVG in the task manager.
And what would you think is the least resource-intensive anti-virus around?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

There have been numerous complaints about the newer versions of AVG and issues with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Please read Section H here. Related discussions at AVG:
I would no longer recommend it as a first choice. My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small foortprint or one of the following if choosing a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Well...
I've tried out NOD32, but I've realized that it was this program that has been causing my computer to lag recently, most noticeably with AIM.

I'll guess I'll try out Avast, though I didn't like it when I last tried it (around 6 years ago(?)). Unless anybody suggests a different one? I'm just looking for something that uses the least resources.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

avast would be my first choice for a free alternative.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice. I've installed Avast, which seems to be running very smoothly.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

You're welcome.

Just so you know, over the past few days I found that there also been reported problems with computers after using new AVG 2011 features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. The registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

#7 peterk312

peterk312

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:16 AM

I also didn't like AVG (though I admit their tray icon is one of the nicest I've seen). I had about 5 processes running at the same time, but CPU usage when idle didn't go much higher than 2%. The GUI would flicker whenever I needed to open it. When I ran the rootkit scan it found 7 false positives but labeled them all as "warnings." One component of the software, AVGIDSAgent.exe, kept trying to connect to the Internet even though I had auto update turned off. That happened when the program updated from 2010 to 2011 version. I figured something wasn't right. I was going to re-install it but when I attempted to uninstall I found components still up and running on my system! I had to run the AVG removal tool, which did work, but that was enough for me to try something else.

I decided to go with Avira Antivir Personal. I've got 3 processes running, it's using about 21,000K memory when idle,and after an update it found a few Trojans in my System Restore files (which AVG apparently missed).

Edited by peterk312, 01 December 2010 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users