Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Failing.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hello,

I am having a problem with my DVD driver. Last month, I tried to simply copy some video files onto a DVD-R, and it worked absolutely great. I simply dragged and dropped the files onto the DVD, and it stayed there without any problems. But now when I try to do the same thing, a message keeps popping up, saying "Please insert disc into drive D". I never had that problem before. I tried to make a new folder in the drive and copy it from there, but it keeps showing up as if no disc were present. It's a laptop running Vista, so there's only one drive, and it can record DVD-R format DVD's, because I did it before. I tried reinstalling the driver, re-enabling Drag-N-Drop, but nothing seems to work. I am just trying to drag video files onto a DVD-R, and it HAS worked before. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your problem is a pretty popular one in case you feel like you are alone with this issue.

There are several reasons this error can happen.

It can be the type of disks you are using. Are these the same disks you've copied to before or is this a different brand?

Another issue that pops up involves a Windows registry issue that is related to the registry key for DVD drives, this key can be added by various disk burning software during installation or a program that adds this key when attempting to send data to the disk.

Below is a recommendation from Microsoft on how to see if your registry has this registry key and if it does, how to safely delete it.

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

· The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

· You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

· You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note: You may not always find both the UPPER and LOWER filters listed. if this is the case, delete the ONE that is listed.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Another solution is Microsoft's automated FIXIT! solution for CD-DVD Drives not writing or reading disks.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

Hope these help.

If this does not solve the problem, then your laser lens may be in need of a cleaning or has become weak.

If you have access to the lens, you can gently wipe it with a clean cloth, this may solve the problem.
Just be careful not to disturb the lens while doing this.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 November 2010 - 08:18 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Another option I would try first would be to use a different program to burn the data. ImgBurn is one that many of our members use and trust.

http://majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

Edit: It's free.

Edited by dc3, 26 November 2010 - 08:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users