Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Video Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teach Power

Teach Power

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

As of 3 days ago I have been experiencing some strange video problems. Seemingly random my monitor freezes and shows the image of the last thing I was working on with some blocky grey squares and the colors on the rest of the monitor looking like a sick version of VGA. I have noticed this happen more frequently when I tried to do certain things like watch a video posted to a Facebook page or play games. Although when the monitor has frozen I have noticed the computer seems to be still working fine as I can hear the video playing or the game working as regular game sounds and my input (mouse button press and keyboard play correct game sounds). To solve this issue I have:

• Downloaded and installed the newest drivers for my video card
  • removed, cleaned the video card, and reseated it
  • cleaned the rest of the computer case and parts from dust and dirt

Can somebody please help me because this problem has me stumped. I am very familiar with building and repairing computers but do not know what could be the problem. Another detail that might help is to read the problem I wrote about in this thread link
BleepingComputer thread I wrote about taskbar/rebooting issue
as I still have the same problem and just learned to live with it. I believe I have a partially corrupted Explorer.EXE and have not done a clean install of XP as I am not looking forward to re-installing all apps and programs I have.

If the two problems I have written about in this thread are needing me to re-install XP, can somebody point me to a tutorial that will show me how to in the most efficient manner? Is there a way to re-install and not have to re-install all your apps and programs? Maybe make an image of the "Programs" folder, "My Documents" folder, etc., re-install OS, then copy the image back of those folders after the clean install of the OS? I just don't want to lose the stuff I have already on the HD or look for CD's of apps/programs I might not be able to find.

Thank you in advance for reading and offering any help.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder
Education Resource Library for the classroom & boardroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Does anybody have any clue as to what it might be? Any ideas from the bleepingcomputer forum techies?

UPDATE: I did a re-install of the OS (Windows XP) and it is still doing the same thing. Computer boots up much faster than normal now of course. But now about 5 minutes after boot the same video problems occur. Could it be the video card itself? Does that sound possible?
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder

#3 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Yes it definitely could be an issue with the video card.

But let's try to rule out some more things before we make that assumption.

By chance, do you have access to another monitor to see if the same issue occurs?

#4 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Yes I have another monitor and I haven't been able to try it yet but I will try it now tonight. I will let you know.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Also...

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users