Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

optical audio adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 onlyforyou

onlyforyou

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have a Samsung T.V which i would like to use with my 5.1 p.c speakers,initially bought for PC, however the t.v only has a digital audio output (optical) and the speakers themselves do not have an input. And for PC can use only half the speakers because there is only one 3.5mm jack in but I need 3 for full surround system.
Thinking logically i thought maybe an external soundcard (or similar) with a toslink input could handle the t.v and output it via the speakers analog cables?
However, I could not find anything, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
raj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

I don't have a similar set-up, so I can't confirm that it will do what you want, but there's no shortage of usb sound cards with toslink input and output. I have a Creative MP3+ that provides toslink in and out, but it's been out of production for years -- it might be a good deal if you can find a used unit very cheap. There are a few current products in Creative's product line that have optical in and out, and products from several other manufacturers. Some are pretty reasonably priced.

You could search on "USB Sound Card" at Amazon, Newegg, etc., (here in the USA). Then you'll have to read the descriptions -- some only provide toslink output, not input.

Again, I don't have a way to confirm you'll be able to do what you want, but you shouldn't have a problem getting the sound card.

Edited by Capn Easy, 25 November 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#3 onlyforyou

onlyforyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for reply. I am confused about S/PDIF, is it same as optical/toslink out/input, because port looks bit different, here are few examples:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280592783995&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_2998wt_1139
(this port looks different, kind of bulging out, however following two look more accurate shape:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829270009&cm_re=USB_Sound_Card-_-29-270-009-_-Product
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyon-ASound-External-Channel-Sound/dp/B003GCJ3R0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1290735314&sr=8-14
Thanks,
raj

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

I have a few of these connections going myself, but I'm not really an expert. Here's what I think I know:

S/PDIF, see Wikipedia, is digital transmission but it can technically refer to either optical or electrical connections.

TOSLINK, see Wikipedia, describes the optical hardware connection. The different shape ports are due to two different terminals -- standard TOSLINK and Mini-TOSLINK. (And, just to keep things interesting, there are adapters to connect a cable with a standard connector to a device with a Mini-connector. Scroll down in the TOSLINK article.) I would expect a USB Sound Interface to use standard connectors, but that's not universal. I would also expect the Mini-TOSLINK connector to be more likely on a device that only provides output, but that's not guaranteed, either. :crazy:

Anyway, both of the devices you linked to at Amazon.UK and Newegg have standard TOSLINK connectors (labelled S/PDIF, just to keep things interesting). A standard TOSLINK cable would work. Is this the connector on your TV?

Edited by Capn Easy, 28 November 2010 - 04:37 AM.

#5 onlyforyou

onlyforyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Yes, that is exactly same shape port on my TV. Anyways, I have placed order on amazon yesterday. Let us see, I will update you once I get it.
cheers
raj

#6 onlyforyou

onlyforyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

I bought this usb sound card:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyon-ASound-External-Channel-Sound/dp/B003GCJ3R0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1290735314&sr=8-14

but no luck to get it work.
First, optical input doesn't connect to analog output (may be only to optical output) and second, even from my pc I cant get surround system to work. But sound test from control panel:-->sound, works fine but when I try to play 5.1 DVD movie I don't get centre and rear speakers to work in 5.1 surround system (I am using creative T6100 speakers). Any idea what's going on? What is the best way to test surround system (other than system sound test,which is positive). I also tried to play some you tube videos, supposed to be 5.1 surround, but no luck.
Seems I need to return this item back to Amazon.

Edited by onlyforyou, 02 December 2010 - 03:15 PM.

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

I'm afraid I can't help much with your particular set-up -- maybe someone else can chime in.

I've used USB sound "cards" and optical hook-ups for a few years to connect a PC to stereo equipment to stream audio from recorded and internet sources and to record to mini-disc and consumer CD equipment. That much I could help on.

I've never tried to get the computer to "listen" to the input and then simultaneously "play" back, or "loop" to the output, in 5.1, which is what (I assume) you'd need.

Edited by Capn Easy, 04 December 2010 - 03:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users