Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stocker

Stocker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

My friend wanted an upgrade to Windows 7 but he doesn't know how so I went to help him. After inserting the disc and chosen the upgrade option to Windows 7 everything was going smoothly. However as soon as the upgrade completed I started seeing a black screen whenever I boot the laptop on. On the screen there was only 2 options. "Recovery Mode" and "Normal Boot" (I don't know the exact phrase but it's about the meaning). First, if you choose normal boot you'll get a blue screen 80% of the time. Then, if you choose recovery mode it'll take 30mins to hours and just to expect a crash at the end and then automatically restart.

- - - - - - - - - -
Toshiba Laptop Satellite xxxxxxx (will edit and add the model number ASAP)
Previous OS = Vista (I don't know the edition but definitely but starter or ultimate)

*I don't think drivers were updated to latest version
- - - - - - - - - -
IN SUMMARY

- The laptop is unable to boot into OS
- The laptop is unable to get into recovery mode
- The laptop is unable to upgrade/downgrade (not sure about downgrade but if I can get into command then yeah)
- The laptop's 1st boot works without problem
- The data on my friend's laptop is important but fixing it is the first priority
- The laptop can still re-install OS
- Reformatting/Clean install should be the last option
- Windows Upgrade Advisor reported that the laptop was fine to upgrade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

- Reformatting/Clean install should be the last option

Why?

Personally, I'd try clean installation.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

I thought my friend had some important data on his laptop but never mind that LOL all my friend had were games. As soon as he said that I went and did a clean install of Vista since 7 won't work. The installation took several hours but turned out fine. After that I went to several official sites and found the most likely cause of the problem. In additional to that I also found instructions that should simplify the process.

1. " ...require a BIOS update to be compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows 7..."

2. How to Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 with the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant

3. Toshiba tools to simplify the Windows 7 installation process

- - - - -
I should've googled about the support before I start upgrading my friend's laptop. =.=

Edited by Stocker, 24 November 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

Good news :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users