Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden infection: uncertain of type

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ready for you

Ready for you

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

Just a couple of days ago my computer started to act up - internet usage became significantly slower as well as an uncommon approval window that now appears when I go to open Google Chrome, asking if I would like to allow Google to make changes to my computer, just so that I can open the browser. Just these two observations caught my attention so I proceeded to run hijackthis to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary (I am not as proficient with hijackthis as the experts) and I simply noticed the extreme surplus of processes that came back in comparison to logs that I have seen before on this computer and my concern grew. So here I am trying to receive any kind of attention or direction possible that might clear this up. I ran the gmer program but the check boxes on the right hand side were limited to 'services', 'registry', 'files' (along with 'C:\', and 'ADS' and the scan came back with nothing, so I did not attach that log. The other two requested logs, as well as a hijackthis log, are attached. Thank you in advance for your generous help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ready for you

Ready for you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Anyone? Bueller? :/

#3 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer :welcome:

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

Regards,
Georgi :hello:

cXfZ4wS.png

#4 Ready for you

Ready for you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hello Georgi, and thank you for your support!

As mentioned in my original post, I ran the gmer program but the check boxes on the right hand side were limited to 'services', 'registry', 'files' (with 'C:\' selected), and 'ADS', so no 'unchecking' was needed and the report came back with 'no modifications have been made' so no log was created to be saved. I tried to upload a packaged 'attach' .rar file but apparently I am not permitted to do so. If it is required that I download .zip and zip it up, I can do so. I have HiJackThis and can run and post a scan for you as well if you would like. Thanks again for your assistance.

Nick

Attached Files

#5 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Your logs are clean. Did Malwarebytes detect anything?

internet usage became significantly slower as well as an uncommon approval window that now appears when I go to open Google Chrome, asking if I would like to allow Google to make changes to my computer, just so that I can open the browser

This is apart of UAC (user account control) in windows 7. I receive the same prompt now from Mozilla Thunderbird. I updated it a couple weeks ago.

Attached Files

• Attached File  shot.PNG   48.86KB   2 downloads

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#6 Ready for you

Ready for you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

well, I guess that's a relief. Thank you for looking at them for me though! Malwarebytes didn't pick anything up and AVG just picked up a bunch of trackers if I remember correctly, which I went ahead and cleaned up.

So this is a recent update from windows 7 then? is there a way to change that? Because that is quite annoying now, having to click yes every time I open the browser. I also lost my logitech mouse controls in web browsing as well (forward and back buttons as far as I can tell) and the functions are still set to do so...so what might be causing that?

Also, can you please look at my HJT log, I reaaally think there is way too much going on there, more than usual I believe, and would love to clean that up.

Attached Files

Edited by Ready for you, 04 December 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#7 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

There is nothing you can do about the prompt with Windows 7 is apart of the OS. With Logitech, i would check the site and see if there are updated drivers. Otherwise, that is something you will need to take up with them.

As of right now you system is clean.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#8 Ready for you

Ready for you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

Thank you for your time and help!

Regards