Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new computer...slow computer :(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 tapcc13

tapcc13

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

so the computer is my gfs and about 3 months old. running windows 7. less than two weeks after getting it the desktop background went black and never could get it back. it would only flash up real quick when you hit the show desktop button. with help from hp we copied the super admin account and made another, then transferred files from curupt account to new account. recently though its been acting really slow. ive noticed that the cpu usage goes like low low low high high low low high high. and the fan goes accordingly. what is going on in the background that is causing this. can someone please help? and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hello, Let's gat another scan log and see if we can get a clue.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your

registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily

disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make

sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from

here
    and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your

operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed

with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing

all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tapcc13

tapcc13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

thanks for taking the time to deal with this. its my gfs comp but im tired of hearing her fuss about how slow it has become so quickly. looks as though nothing was found with this scan.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5189

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

11/25/2010 3:08:43 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-25 (15-08-43).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 160842
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

Ok, well let's run one more scan. You may want to look thru this.

Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tapcc13

tapcc13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:58 AM

C:\Users\Cabam\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\27\299f01b-549d2613 a variant of Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NAU trojan deleted - quarantined

i didnt check the scan potentially unwanted applications box. well there wasnt one actually. there was a scan archives box. but i didnt check it. also it said an antivirus program was detected and could affect performance and quality. i assumed it would be avg. this was not the case. it was "microsoft windows defender". should i find this and disable it, check that scan archives box, and try again the scan again? or do you think this trojan is the only problem?

Edited by tapcc13, 26 November 2010 - 04:00 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

What version of AVg is installed? The latest is giving folks a lot of issues.

#7 tapcc13

tapcc13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

the new one i guess. i just installed it like a week ago. ive had no problems with it that i can tell. is it not catching viruses like it should?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

If you would like to unistall it (if it's not the paid version. Run the AVG Remover
Then install this free one and see if things are faster
•Avast Free

#9 tapcc13

tapcc13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

so use this removal tool and not the uninstall avg app??? is avast better? is that what u use?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hi I think Avast is better or(Avira Antivir what I use) and less a system hog.
So I think removing and replacing AVG will help you. Run a scan after installing.

#11 tapcc13

tapcc13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

so i dled avira (and scan found nothing). restarted the comp and with no applications running and it still had spikes in the cpu usage upwards of 40%.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic363801.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users