Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 desktop icons don't work after using IE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justin1981

justin1981

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

OK guys I'm having a really wierd problem. I've had a look at some posts that sounded similar but I haven't seen anything quite like this.

After closing IE8, my desktop icons don't work. So, I've been opening up task manager and killing the explorer.exe process and starting it back up. At that point, the desktop icons start responding again. However, when i go to open up IE8 again, internet explorer gets hung up on a white screen. Windows 7 gives me a not responding error message, then prompts me to either go to my home page or restore last session. Well, once I finally get the internet going again, I close IE8, only to find that my desktop icons aren't working again! I've gone through this process about 5 times today with the same results.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 justin1981

justin1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Just wanted to give an update: After some frustration, I finally decided to try firefox. I didn't have the same problem so I downloaded IE9 beta and things are working fine so I assume it's a problem with IE8. Still trying to get to the bottom of this...

#3 mikharr123

mikharr123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'm having the same issue, as well as IE8 freezing up on me. I have run a virus scan (Norton) and also used Malware, everything is clean. Not sure what the issue is, but I really do not want to move to IE9 just yet.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

What add-ons did you install the last time in IE? Right-click on desktop IE shortcut and choose Start without Add-ons and see if it still hangs.

#5 wwdivers

wwdivers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

I had the same problem. I noticed there was a shopping add-on that I don't know about where it came from. I removed the program from the computer and the problem has been corrected. This was a program that popped up when using a website like amazon. I can't provide the exact name of the program but it was shop something. If you have any programs on your list called shop something dump them. If not I would still look at add ons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users