Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc won't boot after burning smell

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pconfused

Pconfused

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

My computer cut on for half a second and then cut off. Shortly after there was a bad burning smell coming from my computer. It would not turn back on. I've taken everything apart and examined eveything. Nothing looked burned. I have tried plugging everything in one by one into my board and it won't fire up. there isn't any power getting to the motherboard at all. The green light will not light up. I've looked at my CPU and it didn't look burned, or effected in any way. I have narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the power supply. Do you think I am correct with thinking this? I am going to buy both (motherboard and psu) to test them both together and seperately. Am I going in the right direction?

What is a good or better replacement for the asus p5ql pro that is just as efficient and reliable?

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

Did you smell anything funny like Ozone? It may simply just be your power supply gone bad. If there are no lights coming on on the motherboard, no fans or anything reacting then chances are its one of 2 things... Bad Motherboard, or Bad Power supply.

Easiest way to check is to replace the power supply... in most cases factory made desktops don't come with one that is worth a hoot ~ 250 watt so go out and get yourself a nice 300-500 watt power supply and stick that baby inside the case. If she turns on, you're good, if not then you know what comes next ... its fixable

You can also test the current power supply by purchasing a testing unit. Basically its a little brick with LEDs that you plug the power cords into and see if anything comes out. I think I saw one at a local shop for around $10. I'm tempted to buy one just to have on hand, you never know when you may need one of those suckers.

Edited by Crazy49er, 24 November 2010 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users