Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer making buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jibron

Jibron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

So I discovered that my computer has been making a buzzing noise lately. It does it randomly every few minutes and when I first start it up. It will make the noise for about 30 or so seconds and stop.

When I start it up it sounds louder than at any other time. I don't think it's an issue with it being overheated since it makes the noise even after being turned off for a whole 12 hours but I am unsure of this.

I used compressed air and qtips to clean it yesterday hoping to resolve this issue but failed. I have a feeling that it may be coming from the CPU fans because that is one of the areas I could not clean out very well (I couldn't reach so there is still dust in there). I don't have experience with taking it apart and putting it back without messing it up so I didn't want to risk it.

Again, I'm only speculating so the noise could be coming from somewhere else. But it's definitely a possibility because it was the dirtiest spot when I opened the side of my computer.

Side info: Computer is only about 1 year old.

What could be the culprit of this noise and what can I do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

IME...anything perceived as a buzz is probably case vibration.

Aside from that, I have no idea what could possibly produce such a sound.

Louis

#3 Nauticus

Nauticus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Not sure if it relates to the issue however with my old Intel Pentium 4 from 3+ years ago there has been a quite noisy buzz sound whenever I switch it on. The TS stated the the sound is also present when the computer is booted.

When listening close the sound definitely doesn't come from the case. I never got to fix it, but I was guessing it could be the power supply causing this.

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

You may also want to take a look at any lose wires in the case, sometimes when a free wire from a fan or power supply cable get too close to a fan they'll cause a very fast paced sound, almost like a hum or a buzz. Its kind of like a trading card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel. Poke around a bit and see if there are any cables close to fans in the case.... typically they'll be louder at startup and as the fans get faster or time goes by the cords will move away from the fans or simply by vibrations of you walking around the desk/case making them go away or lessen.

I used to have this problem on my case till I learned cable management <_<

As for case vibration you could place the case on a flat surface (desk/floor) and leave it on letting it buzz... simply move around the case pressing in on the corners and pannels till you get the noise to stop. Once you find the culprit maybe just tighten up a lose screw, or try some foam or cork padding from your local office supply store.

And if it is the power supply, sadly there is just no way to know without getting close and listening where the noise is coming from and even then you'd have to replace it with another PSU just to know for sure.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

It could be case vibration. You can test for this by pushing on the side of the case in various spots to see if the noise stops.

I had a case a few years ago that buzzed due to vibration. Once I isolated the spot I fixed it from vibrating with a little duck tape.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

It might be your power supply that makes the buzzing noise. Check if it's screwed properly to your computer case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users