Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install driver software w/o the disk?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NOTTHEFACE

NOTTHEFACE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Today I received a new hard-drive for my Dell laptop (the other one was busted :(), and so far I have reinstalled everything EXCEPT the Driver software I need in order to use the Ethernet connection at home (no wi-fi). Every other program I have tried to install for the driver isn't recognized by my laptop, and won't work, and I BADLY need to install all current updates. Help in any way possible.

Edited by NOTTHEFACE, 24 November 2010 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Is it a built in network card? If it is you can get the driver from dell.

If you have access to a computer with internet, you could download the drivers on to a usb stick from the Official Dell Site. Then install the drivers onto the laptop from the usb. BTW the link is for the UK site, you will need to change the location at the topof the page if you are somewhere else.

Here's some instructions to do this if you need them:

Click on "I'm looking for drivers and downloads" then identify your laptop using one of the three methods dell gives you (first or second are probably the easiest).
Then when you've identified your laptop select your operating system and what driver you need from the dropdown lists (network). A network driver should appear below. There will probably more than one.
Select the one for your ethernet adapter on your laptop. Make sure it says "Dell-Driver" in the title (not update or something).
Click download and then 'download through your internet browser'. It should end up in the downloads folder (if using vista or 7) or you will get asked where do you want to put it (if you're on an xp machine). Make a note of the file name anyway so you can look for it.
Then drag and drop the driver file onto the usb stick. Then simply put the usb stick into your laptop and double click the driver file and follow the prompts to install it.

Hope that is helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users