Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for DVD player with good slo-mo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bunnarooney

bunnarooney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hi Folks
following the demise of my Daewoo DR2100 player/recorder I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a DVD player(doesn't have to be a recorder as I use a Panny for recording) that has a good slo-mo that will step down to at least 1/8th or possibly a 1/16th as the the aforementioned Daewoo did which I used as a source machine. This is to indulge my interest in creating slo-mo comps of sporting progs such as wrestling,football, rugby etc. I recently purchased a Toshiba XDE 600 player which I am very pleased with except that it cannot be used as source machine as it appears to have 'copy protection' built in. It will not allow me to even copy my own Camcorder discs to another DVD as the 'copy protect-cannot record' sign comes up on my Panasonic DMR 768. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
bunnarooney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

Slow-motion is not native to the device...slow-mo is a video effect that is applied by software to a video file/clip, then saved and played back on either the system or some other media. Even Windows Movie Maker includes this effect.

What program do you use to edit these movie files?

Of course...the sound also slows down, with the video.

Louis

#3 bunnarooney

bunnarooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

I don't use any prog to edit them. It's simply a matter of recording sports programmes off TV to a disc and then slowing down the relevant parts that I want and burning to another DVD. Usually a goal being scored, a goalmouth incident or an exceptional bit of wrestling. It's just that I need the source machine to have as slow and smooth a slo mo as poss.
Thanks for replying.
bunnarooney

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

Well...it may be more work than it's worth...but maybe you ought to try a few video editors.

I use mine primarily to eliminate commercials coming at the rate of 15 minutes worth per hour of recording time...I think that the result would be more flexible if you try a few video-editors and see the range of effects offered.

Software solutions are cheaper than hardware solutions for what you have described, IMO.

Louis

#5 bunnarooney

bunnarooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi Louis
thanks for your replies but it is more a hardware issue. However, I have just this week picked up a Toshiba 330e off ebay for 5 plus postage! I know this model as I was using one until earlier this year when it finally 'gave up the ghost' as they say--so I know it has a good and smooth slo-mo that steps down to 1/8th. That is really all I want it for as I use the XDE 600 for viewing movies and music DVDs which is my main interest. But annoyingly, as I 've said before one apparently can't use it as a source machine machine when copying as it seems to trigger the 'copy protect signal detected' even when I am trying to make an extra copy of one of my camcorder discs to send to relatives.
But thanks for your help.
All the best
bunnarooney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users