Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (7125) Bios issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2RD

2RD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

After 5 years of use my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (7125) mother board died. The mother board that died used an 80GB hard drive for booting with a 200GB EIDE hard drive for data. The mother board supports 2 types of RAID and neither was in use. The BIOS was AWARD v1.1. I purchased a used replacement mother board (same as the one that died, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum 7125) and after installing the mother board I could not get the system to boot. I kept getting a boot disk failure. I checked the BIOS to ensure the hard drives were recognized and the the boot sequence for the hard drives was correct. The hard drives were recognized and the sequence looked to the SATA hard drive first. Then I realized the BIOS on the replacement mother board was at a different level Award v1.B. I replaced the BIOS chip in the replacement board with the v1.1 BIOS chip from the board that died and the system booted fine. I checked to see if both drives were recognized by the v1.1 BIOS and the EIDE hard drive was NOT recognized even though the operating system (XP Media Center)did recognize it and that is why the system booted ok. I then flashed the v1.B BIOS chip to v1.D (the last supported for this mother board)to see if the problem had been fixed and when I booted the system again I still received the boot disk failure error. Upon checking the contents of the BIOS, both hard drives were recognized and so I changed the hard boot sequence to look at the SATA drive first, rebooted the system with the same failure. It appears that the hard boot sequence in the BIOS does not work. As long as the EIDE drive was recognized by the BIOS it goes to that drive first and only. I turned off the EIDE drive in the BIOS (v1.D) to make it look like the V1.1 BIOS and rebooted. The system came up correctly and the operating system found the EIDE hard drive and everything appears to work.

As the BIOS for this mother board will not be updated as the board is not manufactured anymore I felt this issue should be documented for us older mother board users (if it has not already).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Well...a lot of boards have no native SATA support...but Windows can be installed, as long as the SATA drivers are installed during the Windows install process.

Even if the board has no native SATA suppport...any user can purchase a controller card and effectively bypass the motherboard limitations by booting from the controller card, after changing the system BIOS settings to boot from SCSI. The controller card is viewed as a SCSI device (often) in the system BIOS.

Louis

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

Interesting Hamilus, I have an MSI K9 Neo mainboard in the service of a client's pc running Vista Ultimate, it's running great so far.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users