Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard issues?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graham78

Graham78

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hey all,

I have a problem with my computer which is causing bleeping on start up ;) Also when I try to type with my keyboard the characters that appear are incorrect. I am currently using the on screen keyboard which is FUN. Following is an example: a= no character b= xb c= c8 d= d e=e f= 2f.

I have logged into the visitor profile and used system restore to no good effect. I am unable to sign to my profile due to the keyboard problem. I suspecr my daughter(toddler) was messing with he computer whn I was fixing lunchfor us. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

I did a search for "keyboard issues xp desktop" and did not find anything relevant :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

System manufacturer...and model?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 Graham78

Graham78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Dell dimension 5150

wired dell keyboard (HID Keyboard device)

I managed to log in to safe mode by hitting all the keys until I got the safe mode boot menu. Took quite a few attempts, but I managed to change the password for my profile to one I could use.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Try running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space bwtween k and /) and then hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system...let command run. System will boot into XP when command has finished running.

Louis

I would get a replacement keyboard, never hurts to have a spare for any desktop.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2010 - 12:41 PM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

If at all possible, swap keyboards with another system temporarily
If the problem follows the keyboard I would replace it as you may have stuck keys
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users