Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a good backup plan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Here's what I think I want to do w/ my not yet formatted LaCie Rugged Ext hdd.
1. Make it so I can boot from it and run mac os x from it
2. Keep a relatively recent backup up of my os & program files & configuration/preference changes
3. Backup up my personal files separately since that has to be done frequently.

This is based on my windows experience and may not be necessary w/ mac, but time machine does 2 & 3 so I assume making a backup of your OS w/ your installed programs and configuration changes is still a good idea w/ mac.

Time machine won't work for me. Because I live in frequent lightning strike territory I don't leave my backup ext hdd plugged in. It gets plugged in for backups and then unplugged. I think I need to do 2 & 3 separately since I need to frequently back up personal files to keep the backup time short. I'll only occasionally need to backup the os.

I've been trying to figure out cloning vs snapshots vs disk images and put that together w/ backup programs but I'm just confused.

Superdupersomething seems like a program used by a lot of macs. Is that a good program to start with to backup my os? Can I use it to make my ext hdd bootable? Since I didn't partition my hdd will I be able to do a backup of the configured os w/out including my personal files?

With windows I would have partitioned my hdd and ext hdd and backed up the os to one partition and personal files to another. It still seems like a good idea to partition my ext hdd since I may be using a different program to back up personal files. I may need 3 partitions if I need to do 1&2 separately. If I need to partition the ext hdd I have to do that before anything else, which is why I need to understand a little bit better what I'll be doing.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trebormuhaha

trebormuhaha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

1 A backup that is on the same drive isn't a backup

2 If you live in an area that has alot of lighting you should have a UPS

3 Use time machine it works and should be all you really need

how to setup time machine and some of its features
Clicky

Edited by trebormuhaha, 24 November 2010 - 04:04 PM.

Best things since sliced bread

Download UBCD here
UBCD

Trend Micro House Call make sure those nasty little buggers are gone
Click here

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ok I am going to take this one thing at a time so as not to get confused myself and to help others that may be asking the same question.

First, I know first hand that you can use the LaCie to boot from IF it is the model that has firewire, otherwise you will not be able to boot from it. What size did you get? As in disk space.

Second, you will need to create 2 partitions to do what you desire which can be done in disk manager relatively easy.

Third, Use time machine, it won't backup unless the drive is plugged in and working, It will take a while at first but subsequent backups are a lot quicker.

Fourth, this is for number 3 on your list, this is most likely not possible to do as this would require a folder so that you can put all of your files that you want separate from your normal backup. Or a system of folders.

At least that is the way I do my backups.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

First, I know first hand that you can use the LaCie to boot from IF it is the model that has firewire, otherwise you will not be able to boot from it.

Is there something about USB Lacie drives that prevent Macs from booting? All Intel Macs can boot from USB drives.
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/18/mac-101-yes-intel-macs-can-be-booted-from-an-external-usb-drive/

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Oops :oopsign: Sorry about that I forgot he had an intel mac, I work with mostly the old powerpc macs and they couldn't boot from usb under normal circumstances. But yeah that will boot then. Sorry for my momentary lapse of thinking correctly..
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone,

I'll read over Time Machine again. Somewhere I read it would be very slow if I backed up my whole hdd periodically rather than having it backing up constantly. I don't remember if it does bootable backups. If it doesn't Superduper and Synchronize Pro do. But the more the mac can do and the less I have to buy the better. I'll probably have to just back up my personal files along w/ the os and then do more regular backups of my personal files another way.

I haven't been able to find mac cd burner software that does multisession data dvds or let's me save a compilation. A multisession, saved compilation nero disc was a great way to backup to dvd - I don't understand why more people - mac & pc - don't want that function. Roxio toast may do that, but it's very expensive and complicated and it's focus is on burning videos and photos. So now I'm looking for mac software that backs up to ext hdds and to optical media to back my personal files. I guess most people just back up to ext hdd and maybe to online storage, but an ext hdd can die at any time - like right after you reformat your pc. I was saved from total loss by having also backed up to dvd.

I have the firewire + usb lacie rugged. I think it's 500 GB, which should do for awhile since I don't have large video files. I've used 123 GB of my hdd so far.

I have a UPS but a close lightning strike will go right thru that. The only safe electronic during a thunderstorm is an unplugged one.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are the two Bootable Disk Imaging utilities most often recommended.
They are both capable and seem to have been in race to perfection - I prefer SuperDuper!
Both can create a bootable partition or a disk image containing a bootable backup.

For backing up your user folder I often install SilverKeeper from LaCie, ChronoSync would be my second choice.

Take Control of Mac OS X Backups eBook $30

Macintouch Backup Software
Macintouch Backup Strategy

Time Machine's limitations and how to overcome them
http://www.macworld.com/article/155441/2010/11/timemachineallyouneed.html?lsrc=top_1

Five reasons to partition a disk
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the links davidanders,

I like that Silverkeeper uses mac's I/O so you don't need software to access the backup. If my hdd dies and silverkeeper's download link disappears and I can't find the dvd w/ my downloaded apps backedup I'm still ok. I wish my mac could use RAM discs. I still need something that will burn backups to dvd. Without nero's multisession compilations I need something that will keep track of which files changed in what folders since the last backup.

I'm probably going to try out Superduper. It's reasonably priced [cheap] and I keep reading positive opinions about it. I still need to read over my Time Machine notes.

Chronosync info had a link to a good article on partitioning for mac. Here. First thing I need to do is partition my ext hdd, but first I have to figure out partition number and sizes and that depends on my backup strategy and the programs I decide to use.

The backup strategy link clued me in on getting some verbatim gold dvd's. I mostly use regular verbatim's that have held up well, but I should have one set on archival quality dvd in my security box at the bank.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users