Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie -vs- Firefox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WJACK459

WJACK459

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:56 AM

I HOPE THAT AM ON THE RIGHT FORUM

I JUST WANTED TO KNOW THE PRO AND CON OF HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER? :thumbsup:
the "TENDERHEART"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:20 AM

That is a long debated topic. Check here.
I'll bite though.
I tried FF about 3 weeks ago in response to the fore menitioned link. I have grown quite attached to it. It is much more responsive than IE. It has a feature I was not too impressed at first with. The TAB feature is very handy.
You will still need IE to update windows though.
I now run with FF as my default browser. The one thing I do which drives my friends crazy is I use only one tool bar. I have everything trimed down and loaded into the top toolbar so I have maximum browser space. Google nad the address fields included.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

13 Reasons To Use Firefox Over IE
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 reddrose

reddrose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:11 PM

Mmm. One thing I really appreciated was the ability to tweak out FF with themes and such.

..Yeah, it's useful and stuff, but I want to like loking at it, you know? I love FF.
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

#5 Jalin

Jalin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

Firefox is user user friendly and gives you FULL control.
IE. Well you need to do your homework.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:08 AM

In my experience over several years, FF/Mozilla is a far better product. It is certainly faster, and always more secure. The use of extensions (or add-ons)allows each user to tailor the browser so its functionality matches needs.

Security, even though FF/Mozilla is not 100 percent safe, is much better. First, FF/Mozilla do not use ActiveX controls, nor are they part of the Windows operating system as is IE. Second, critical security patches are issued much quicker, often within less than a week; compare this speed to critical exploitis that take three to six months for MS to patch. Third, just as an example of open source coding, Mozilla/FF appears to be immune to the latest WMF file exploit that appeared this week, since IE would automatically download the file while FF would seek user approval.

The important thing is that YOU can choose to use FF/Mozilla (it's free and you can take two weeks to try it out and if you don't lilke it, just delete it)- - -it is not foisted on you.

The only "con" I have found is that some sites, not being standards-compliant, will not work well using FF (this applies especially to some Microsoft sites); fortunately, there is an extension available that allows you to view the page in question using IE. With something over ten percent of people using FF as their browser, the number of non-compliant sites continues to diminish.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 29 December 2005 - 09:11 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:46 PM

WJACK459,

Just to give you another option. There are more than just IE and "The Fox" out there. Take a look at my other reply to a FF v.s. IE thread here. I personally feel it's up the the individual users tastes and needs as to the browser to utilize. Thank goodness for choices.

Be (Browser Selection) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users