Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steams unwanted (by me at least) auto patch on borderlands

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Z26

Z26

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

I have been playing games on steam for 3 or 4 years. And spent quiet a bit of money with them. My recent favorite one was Borderlands I logged over 900 hours on the game. All it off line. Then one day everything change. After some checking I learned that they had installed a patch. I was in way informed of this. I didn't know that they could patch without my OK. Well over the last week I've on their forums and lets just say that I am probably least favorite person over there right I've been hammered real good. All I was saying was I think that it is wrong to patch a game that has bought and paid for without the owners approval. Like I daid everybody and their brother was in on this. In Games like Unreal Tournament 3 and Call Of Duty 4 when patches came out you were responsible for down loading them and installing them. And if you didn't want to you didn't have to. I guess what I'm asking here is am I right that I should have a say in what they can or can not do to the game I bought in my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

You may be morally right, but most likely not legally correct.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Z26

Z26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

You may be morally right, but most likely not legally correct.

Oh OK thanks for taking the time to answer

#4 wing43

wing43

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

all games auto patch on steam. you can turn it off yourself if you dont want them to do it. its not hard to miss if steam is patching with the new interface

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

Not everybody likes Steam because it can be bossy (I avoid it like the plague)

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Boarderlands has a history of being easy to "tweak/mod/hack". Which ruins online gameplay for many. Microsoft put out patches too, without player consent, for the Xbox 360 version. Since Steam and Microsoft are the ones providing the Online gameplay services, they want everyone to have a fair shake of it in Deathmatch mode so they can get more people playing.

and yeah I did a little exploring on what can be done and would not suggest any of the tools I found as many have spyware, malware, and viruses attached to them. Actually that goes for just about every game/game save modding tool I've looked at.

Posted Image

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Also, I agree with you, it shouldnt be right to do that, but legally, any game you buy from steam, you dont actually own the game you are just leasing it from them-which means they can do pretty much whatever they want with it. Which is why I prefer to buy all my games in store. In fact, until CODBO came out I didnt even have steam on my system on a regular basis. and even with that game, I bought the actual copy from wal-mart, and steam only controls that one game.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

I just counted, I have 90 games in my Steam "library". Don't have a problem with it. Just bought F1 2010 an hour ago for half price.

I think the last games I bought on an actual DVD were the Riddick series when Newegg had them on sale.

I love Steam. It can update my games, including Borderlands, when it feels like it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users