Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ayush

ayush

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

i want to setup a vpn conection...... but i don't have any experience regarding it....
so i am using ubuntu 10.10, ok to set it up i went to

network>>vpn connections>>configure vpn
clicked on add>>and selected pptp(by default)>>>clicked on create

now my problem is under vpn tab when i have to give gateway.... what i have to fill in that.... i tried giving my ip address(as by ip-adress.com) but then it gives connection failed message...

so what should i do now???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spz

spz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi

Can you post screenshot of your vpn tab please ?

Regards. :)

#3 ayush

ayush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

how to attach images????

#4 spz

spz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi

Upload your screenshot here : http://imageshack.us/ and copy/paste the link :)

#5 ayush

ayush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

http://yfrog.com/3zvpnbp
see if this what u wanted.. i haven't used vpn till now so i don't know what are the tools required and how to set it up..... nd can u clear how actually VPN works

#6 spz

spz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Have you set up a VPN server (for example : OpenVPN, etc..) ? Because here you configure the VPN client through a gateway.

Can you explain that you want to do ?

#7 ayush

ayush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Well i had doubt in that

setting up a vpn server on my computer... will make my computer as a server.... and what ever file that my friends want to share,for that they will be using my computer as a server...won't the data transfer rate be too slow?.. as mine is just a laptop and for something like this we need a computer that is specially made for being a server......(if i' am right about vpn how it works.... i really don't know much about it.. my this theory about VPN is just assumption)

so what i thought is to use college's server or network to make this....so wat i did was something stupid i opened terminal... wrote command ifconfig.. got an ip.. wrote in the texfield but nothing happened... so i went to a website from where i got this gateway's ip and wrote it here... but then again nothing happened(nd it should not be also)..........actually in this case i wanted my private networks range to be much extended then u know normal 5-6 computer network

please tell me if i am wrong somewhere

#8 spz

spz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

Hi :)

Ok, look this link : http://cviorel.easyblog.ro/2009/02/09/how-to-set-up-a-vpn-server-on-ubuntu/

;)

#9 ayush

ayush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hi :)

Ok, look this link : http://cviorel.easyblog.ro/2009/02/09/how-to-set-up-a-vpn-server-on-ubuntu/

;)

THANKS FOR THE INFO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users