Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Combofix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 m0nochrome

m0nochrome

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi guys, I'm new here.. I've just come across these forums in a Google search.
I have been advised by someone on another forum to use combofix to get rid of some malware I had on the computer.
Luckily the malware is gone and I seem to be clean after doing various scans. My only problem is that now I want to
remove combofix (as seems to be recommended everywhere I've read) but using cmd and typing "combofix /uninstall"
comes back with a response of Combofix is not recognised as an internal or external command. This could be due to the
fact that I was told to rename combofix.exe to svchost.exe : Please let me know how I can completely remove combofix
without totally destroying my system :) Thanks in advance!
Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0nochrome

m0nochrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

No problem, I have solved the issue myself by changing directory in cmd to my desktop and then typing Combofix.exe /unistall
Thanks anyway :)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

Welcome to BC m0nochrome

If a trained expert at another forum instructed you to download and use ComboFix, they should have been able to advise you how to remove it when done as part of the clean up process. If the person was not a trained expert, then you should be very cautious about following such instructions and advice.

Anyway, glad to hear you sorted it out.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users