Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Sygate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:13 AM

I got tired of the porblems with zone alarm and uninstalled it, and downloaded sygate. After I rebooted I received the following message-

Smc. exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

When I get to the desktop there wasn't an icon for sygate, so I went into search and created a shortcut, when I clicked on it the page came up, but was not responding to any commands, I had to reboot to get rid of it, and the icon was gone after the reboot. This is the third time that I've downloaded this on a dial up connection, and I'm just about to go back to za. :thumbsup:

I know that the Smc. exe is part of the sygate software, but why is windows having a problem with it?

Anyone else having similar probems?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:54 AM

Although I haven't heard of anyone having a problem similar to yours with Sygate, going back to ZA might be advisable due to this.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:10 AM

dc3

After tomorrow Sygate will be no more. Read my post two threads down.
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Hi guys...thanks for the response, I had read that already, hence my determination to make the change now. I did copy sygate to a cd just in case. I've been so p.o.ed with za that I'm not really wanting to deal with them any more, but this is getting to be worse. Do you guys have any idea what I can do to resolve this problem. other than toss it in and go back to za?

Edited by dc3, 29 November 2005 - 11:37 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

I feel for you. Going back to ZA isn't something I would do willingly. Firewalls have ended up on my software you have to buy list. I presume you have tried to reinstall it?

On another forum they said that version 5.6 is unstable. If that is the version your using you could try an older version from here.

EDIT: Little over a month after buying up Sygate, Symantec managed to release an unstable version. That is kind of impressive in its own perverse way.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 29 November 2005 - 01:59 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

Maybe there are still bits of ZoneAlarm left on your system. Which could be conflicting with the Sygate install.
Just a thought. :thumbsup:

Ive not done this manual uninstall. But it is how I was instructed to do so.

I (and many others) have been experiencing problems with ZoneAlarm, since the last upgrade in Sept or Oct. Although there is a new update available just recently, I havent gotten up the nerve to install it yet.

Running Zone Labs security software simultaneously with other firewall software may cause conflicts - We recommend that you not run other PC firewall products (such as PC-Cillin, Kerio, Sygate) simultaneously with Zone Labs security software.

Uninstalling ZoneAlarm

To make sure that you can see the ZoneAlarm system files, if they are still on your computer:
a. Right-click on Start, then left-click on Explore. When the Windows Explorer panel appears:

- In Windows 95, 98, 98SE: Click View -> Options (in Windows 98/98SE, this will be called "Folder Options"). Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all files" radio button.

- In Windows ME, XP, 2000: Click Tools -> Folder Options. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.

b. Make sure you also UNcheck the box to "Hide Protected Operating System Files" if you have one.
c. When searching, be sure it searches ALL hidden files and folders (in XP: check Advanced search settings)
d. Click OK.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Making modifications to system files may disable crucial functions of your Windows operating system. We strongly suggest re-enabling the "Hide files and folders" feature once all ZoneAlarm files have been removed.

Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C or All Local Drives.

Type the following exactly and delete the folder:

zonelabs (under your SYSTEM or SYSTEM32 folder)
"zone labs" (under your Program Files folder)
"Internet logs" (under your Windows or WINNT folder)

Type the following exactly - delete files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, in your \Temp folder, or in the Windows "Pre-Fetch" folder):

vsconfig.xml
vsdata.dll
vsdata95.vxd
vsdatant.sys
vsmon.*
vsmonapi.dll
vsnetutils.dll
vspubapi.dll
zaplus.*
zapro.*
zllictbl.dat
zlparser.dll
zonealarm.exe
zoneband.dll

vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
REBOOT

NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, removing the files in Safe Mode will allow you to delete the files properly. Click Start, Help, and search for "SAFE MODE" for information specific to your system.

Edited by Scarlett, 29 November 2005 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Mr Alpha...I now have sygate downloaded and working on my pc thanks to you, you were spot on! :thumbsup: I also made a cd for any future needs.

Scarlett...thank you for the very useful information for uninstalling zone alarm, I will use it shortly.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:28 AM

Although I haven't heard of anyone having a problem similar to yours with Sygate, going back to ZA might be advisable due to this.

Just out of curiostity I went to http://www.soft32.com/download_900.html , and I was able to download sygate 5.0, so much for their November 30th dead line.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:31 AM

Just out of curiostity I went to http://www.soft32.com/download_900.html , and I was able to download sygate 5.0, so much for their November 30th dead line.

They probably belong to the same club as Sony. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users