Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira blocks d:\autorun.inf after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ibglfn9

ibglfn9

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

So a friend of mine has a couple of issues. He called me to rid him of the Thinkpoint Virus. I did with the help of Bleeping Computer.....Next day, he called and had XP antivirus 2011 causing him new problems. Got rid of that. (Rkill and malwarebytes)BUT, now that those pests are gone, his Avira Antivirus always pops up with the message D:\autorun.inf has been blocked. Hey good, the antivirus is working, so I told him that this way he knows his antivirus is working and is a constant reminder to keep it updated and running this time....hahaha. Well, since he has lived through it for a week now, I thought I may get rid of the pest for him. HELP. "D" from what I can see must be a partition whereas someone put in something called "recovery" and advises not to change any files. As I am unsure if his professional computer tech may have done this for him, I didn't go any further into it. Now I am wondering if this was installed as part of a package of infection(s) that he had with thinkpoint and XP Antivirus 2011. Any ideas, thoughts, and help would be greatly appreciated. I originally thought "D" was an external drive or something, but he doesn't have anything connected or plugged in. Led me to believe it to be a partition?

Edited by Budapest, 23 November 2010 - 10:19 PM.
Moved from XP ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Natoforce

Natoforce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Ok, similar thing on my Vista 32 bit. I have Avira and its working. Now when I put in my older iPod Nano it pops up the same dialogue box as yours except mine states an F: drive. However, its evidently from my iPod which I just plugged into one of my USB ports. I have 6 motherboard USB's. I have the usual C: drive but I also have a partition for storage which I assigned as B: drive. Then I have the usual D: drive for CD's and DVD's and also an extra drive called E: for DVD's. As one might know when an iPod is plugged into a computer, it will instantly pop up iTunes if you have it. Thats the reason for blocking it I believe-because it auto-ran a program in your computer. Anvira has guards against such behavior. I know that what its trying to auto-run has to do with updating the iTunes or iPod, I havnt been able to allow it myself as Anvira offers no options to allow.

#3 ibglfn9

ibglfn9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just called my friend, and he hasn't used any usb ports for any such external devices. I really think it is a drive name for a partition, where someone has named a file "recovery". He said now he is getting redirected on google search, when clicking on a link. He has windows xp on C. I am now assuming it is all related. I am wondering how to get rid of the d:\autorun.inf. Now I also have to get rid of the redirect. I had it on my computer once, and can't remeber what i did to get rid of it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users