Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop with Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

Greetings,

I have an open topic in the Security Forum, so hope it's okay to post another question here. I received a new laptop as a gift last week; it's my first experience with an HP computer. G72 Series Notebook; 200 GHz Intel Processor; 320 GB HDD; 6 GB RAM; Windows 7 Home Premium.

Question: Does Windows 7 sometimes have issues with connections? Mine is seldom able to connect to the wireless through the router, though other computers in the house have no problem.

Question: Does Windows 7 have issues with keyboard commands? The Alt+F4 command doesn't work at all.

The friends who bought me this computer got it at an Aaron's rent to own place. The thing that concerns me is that Aaron's has stuff on here to track the computer if it's lost (or not paid for, I guess) and am wondering if that software might be tripping up some things. In the security forum I posted about the other issue - can't get AVG to install.

I'd like to reformat and clean install Windows 7 but don't know if Aaron's will let me - - I can ask. Also, the unit didn't come with any software - - no operating system disk. HP says there's a recovery setup, but all that does is put it back to the way it came from the factory with all the trial software, none of which I want. (Uninstalled it all first thing, then tried to install AVG - - and I'm thinking some of the issues may be conflicts with leftover files from something I deleted - - Microsoft Office Trial and Nortons Security, which I removed with the Norton Removal Tool.)

Is it legal to use the Windows 7 disk I bought when I upgraded the Dell just to install onto the HP and then use the license key that came with the HP Windows installation, since both are legally my licenses? Don't want to do anything illegal. Also, I purchased the 7 disc right after 7 came on the market and it's a bit different from the one on the HP.

Final issue: When I got the new HP, I passed my 2 year old Inspiron on to my husband to replace his older Dell. The inspiron has 3 GB RAM, but is so much faster than the brand new HP, with 6 GB RAM (came with 3 and I upgraded to 6 that day.)

So, questions is, does anyone know if these issues are Windows related or Aaron's related issues? Either way, anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome any of them? I've run WSE and SuperAntiSpyware and no nasties were found on it, so I don't think it's infected with anything. Feels like setup problems.

Thanks for any suggestions forthcoming!
S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

I am far from an expert, and don't play one on tv (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one night). I would let the experts on the security forum do their magic before you move to something else. Who knows what has been downloaded from a RTO company computer. jmho

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

I have an open topic in the Security Forum, so hope it's okay to post another question here

Same computer?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

They've advised me to wait to hear from AVG first. So, I'll wait for AVG and then post back in Security.

Thanks,
S.

#5 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

Still have no assistance from AVG and today there's a new problem. Overnight all the restore points deleted with no command from me to do so. I opened System Restore and set a new one earlier today. A few minutes ago, I rebooted the computer and then found that the restore point set earlier had also deleted. What's up with that?

Anyone know what might cause this and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
S.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Download Microsoft Security Essentials ... http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
It doesn't have nearly the 'bloat' that AVG now has.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

MSE came installed on this unit and I've had it running ever since I couldn't get AVG to install.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

MSE came installed on this unit and I've had it running ever since I couldn't get AVG to install.

That's strange that MSE came installed ...it's not bundled with any 'OEM' computers that I know of. It's a user's choice to download it.

Leave it on your machine, just make sure it's updating definitions and run a scan, often.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:14 AM