Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus on my computer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zipere

Zipere

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

After going to "classmate's website" (accessed by my mother) a warning popped up saying you computer may be infected. I came and alt F4'd the message and browser, but for a split second it starting downloading or something that looked like the microsoft update screen. I just built this computer and have not put a anti virus program on it yet.

I was thinking of using Nod, or possibly one provided by my internet company.
How would I check if this little occurrence formed a malicious file or something on my computer? Could I send my info to someone to check for a possible corruption in the making?

Thanks for any comments or help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Start by installing an anti-virus and performing a full system scan.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one). I recommend any of the first three.Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

I downloaded AVG, and it found no virus!

Hopefully it was nothing.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

An anti-virus program is not enough.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:For a list of more tools, please see Bleeping Computer's:You can also get a second opinion by performing an an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users