Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KSoD (Black Screen of Death)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Errant.Reality.A

Errant.Reality.A

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Just got a computer in that's experiencing the early variation of the KSOD problem on a Windows Vista Ultimate computer. This variation is the one that happens before the windows logo comes up, right after the loading screen. I don't know what caused it, as I just got the computer, and it's been sitting around for months already, but KSOD doesn't seem to want to fix.

So far, I've left it up all night to see if it would come around eventually, tried doing a repair from the Vista CD, tried doing /fixmbr and /fixboot under the repair console, tried deleting the event logs (renaming them rather, and somehow they were deleted), renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder (and renaming it back when that didn't work), booting into safe mode, doing the sticky keys work around, and probably a couple other things I'm not thinking about.

The only fix that I've found that I haven't tried yet is using some tool to destroy the windows boot loader information and recreate it, and I'm not sure if that'll work or not. I can do a clean install, since I have to clean the computer off, but I have a couple days to play around with it, and I'd like to see what's making this problem tick. It'd probably be worth it to do an image of the hard drive and boot it up in a virtual machine so that I can play with it after I turn the computer around and give it back.

I also haven't yet tried: asking it nicely, threatening it, casting a counter-curse on it, bribing it, giving it a technical tap, or defenestrating it.

Has anyone managed to fix a KSOD that comes up before the logo screen comes up? Have any good suggestions?

Edited by Errant.Reality.A, 23 November 2010 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

hello,

I had one a couple weeks ago that was as simple as re seating the RAM...worth a shot!

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Errant.Reality.A

Errant.Reality.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'll definitely try it. :)