Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DSBn

DSBn

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I searched the forums and found a couple of answers, but those solutions didn't work for me - the hotfix that is suggested in the posts is already installed as part of a SP that's been installed (the posts were from 2007).

I have two workstations getting errors (more or less similar, not entirely identical in the details). They pop up intermittently, not always immediately, but sometimes. Both machines also have problems with search engines in web browsers (Firefox and IE7): when clicking on a link from Google or other search engines, instead of the requested page, another search site comes up with search results. They've been working around this problem by copying the link and pasteing it into the address field.

We have Symantec Endpoint Protection ver 11.0 (with anti virus & threat detection running), also SuperAntiSpyware registered edition running real time protection, and also Ad-Aware. I've run full scans and nothing malicious is ever detected.

The error they're getting is:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
  • Error Signature
  • szAppName: svchost.exe
  • szAppVer: 5.1.2600.5512
  • szModName: ntdll.dll
  • szModVer: 5.1.2600.5755
  • offset: 00023845

When clicking further, I see two files in a temp directory under the user's profile:
  • svchost.exe.mdmp
  • appcompat.txt
Please help! Many, many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 desperategirl

desperategirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

I ave this same problem. My browser is hijacked (web searches are being redirected to ad sites). I'll let you know if I find any solutions. Pleae let me know ifyou figure it out. I have run alwareBytes as well as Super Antivirus which found the ad trcking cookies and a trojan but the problem persists because it has to be remved from the rot. That is where I get stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users