Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox 360 connected via Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Avysis

Avysis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this problem. I used to connect to Xbox live by connecting my laptop to my 360 via Ethernet cable. The way this would work is I'd activate ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

But recently, due to driver problems, I recovered my entire PC and lost all my settings. Now I'm having problems connecting to live on my xbox. To test if you have live connection, the Xbox goes through the process:

Xbox 360->Network->Internet->XboxLive

In this case, my xbox cannot connect to my network. It says that the xbox cannot obtain an IP address from my router or modem.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Uhh I don't really know but I'll offer whatever advice I can...

Try setting a static IP address. You should have a static IP address set anyways if you have a linksys router like me, and you need to forward ports in order to get an open NAT type.

Make sure DHCP is enabled on your router.

That's all I know...

#3 Avysis

Avysis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've already portforwarded, but I haven't set an static IP. I use a Dynex router (WEGRTR).

For the static ip, how do I know what info to enter? Should I use my laptops IP? Or a seperate ip for the Xbox? If seperate, do I make it up or is there a certain IP I need to enter?

And yeah, my DHCP is enabled.

Edited by Avysis, 24 November 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#4 DDave64

DDave64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

Have you activated Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop since you recovered your PC?

If so, check the firewall settings for your LAN adapter. Make sure the DHCP service is allowed.

Dave

#5 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Well, yeah you definitely need to set a static ip. It might not be the solution to your current problem, but it might help. Think about it... port forwarding is to make sure that all xbox live traffic goes straight to your xbox. So, you forward all the ports that xbox live uses to your xbox. Your router doesn't really know which device is your xbox, it just knows what ip address you told it to forward the ports to. So, if you just let your xbox get assigned any ip address by your router, chances might be that it won't get the ip address that your xbox live traffic is forwarded to. That xbox live traffic might be getting forwarded to your desktop or somebody else's laptop. So yeah, everytime your xbox is turned off and on, it could get a different ip address.

"For the static ip, how do I know what info to enter?"
Anything that is within your router's range. My linksys router's range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149. And I could change that range if I want. So, I have about 7 or 8 devices connected to my router when everything I use is connected, so I am going to assign it 192.168.1.110. Those first 8 devices on my network will be assigned the first 8 available ip addresses, considering they don't have static ip addresses themselves. So, 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.107 will be used up. 192.168.1.110 will never be used by other devices since you don't have enough devices to reach that. You could assign something like 192.168.1.105, but if your xbox is off and something else using DHCP or dynamic ip addressing is on, it might take 192.168.1.105. I'm not really sure if your xbox would kick it off or if it wouldn't be able to connect or what, but it's just best to avoid conflict.

Should I use my laptops IP?
No, every device needs it's own Ip address I'm pretty sure.

Or a seperate ip for the Xbox?
Yes, this is the way to go.

If seperate, do I make it up or is there a certain IP I need to enter?
As long as it is within your router's range it should be ok. Just make sure that ip address that ports are forwarded to and your xbox's static IP address are the same.

That is how you normally do it. But, I'm not sure if anything changes since you are using a shared internet connection.

#6 Avysis

Avysis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. So far I'm not having any avail.

My ICS is turned on. I did turn it back on since the recovery and DHCP is enabled.

So I've assigned my Xbox 192.168.2.9 and port forwarded the required ports according to that IP. I still am stuck on the same spot. My Xbox just isnt being able to connect to the network.. On my LAN, it says that it's an "unidentified network". When I try to dianose, it says that Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP configuration.

Edited by Avysis, 26 November 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#7 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

Sorry man that my suggestion doesn't work. Just to make sure, are you sure the ip you assigned your xbox is valid? Usually device ip addresses are in three digits at the end. You assigned it 192.168.2.9. Maybe you should try 192.168.2.109? Like for my linksys router, it says via the web configuration page that the range is 192 . 168 . 1. 100 to 149.

Plus, don't give up. Even when you fail to fix it you learn something! Just positive thinking i guess...

Good luck.

#8 DDave64

DDave64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

Usually device ip addresses are in three digits at the end. You assigned it 192.168.2.9. Maybe you should try 192.168.2.109?

Valid IP addresses can go from 1 to 254 on the last octet (the final number after the last dot.) xxx.xxx.xxx.1 is usually the gateway or router but it doesn't have to be. xxx.xxx.xxx.254 is the broadcast address and is not assigned to a device but is used for a specific purpose.

So I've assigned my Xbox 192.168.2.9 and port forwarded the required ports according to that IP. I still am stuck on the same spot. My Xbox just isnt being able to connect to the network.. On my LAN, it says that it's an "unidentified network". When I try to dianose, it says that Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP configuration.

You cannot guess at the IP address. The first 3 sets of numbers must be the same as that of shared network's gateway which is probably the IP address of your wired connection in this case.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all then copy and paste the results into a post.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users