Hi, I contacted you yesterday with the following query:-
After many trouble free years of use my laptop has become infected with Antivirus Action. Unfortunately I only discovered your site after trying to delete masses of "apparently" infected files!
However, I have since tried several ideas gleaned from your site's removal instructions with the following results:-
1. Tried getting into safe mode using F8 key. This was unsuccessful as no promp comes up now prior to windows loading. Even without the prompt I have tried using F8 constantly but still no access to safe working.
2. Tried msconfig to gain access but the malware blocks my attempts.
3. Tried connecting to the internet but the only website it will allow me into is the one advertising Antivirus Action at $69.99 with no viable alternative. It seems that the only intelligent thing I have done to date is not to pay for the download!
4. Have tried to access system, program and many other files but, again, I am blocked from doing anything which has the slightest effect on this virus? Trojan? or whatever it is?
5. Tried to run recovery and system discs but it won't let me do that either: It will however allow me to open these and load them as individual files to my documents folder. I hasten to add, but to no avail!
Being a novice (as will be patently obvious to you by now, if not before!) to this type of problem, several questions come to mind.
a. Can safe mode be accessed in any other way?
b. Is it possible for me to clear everything from the hard drive and start reloading everything again?
c. In the case of "b" above, would it be possible to save my documents folder prior to deleting all on the hard drive? Or would these files still be infected even if I did manage to save them?
Is there another way?
I have today been successful, in that I managed, by putting a "shortcut to system" icon on my desktop and clicking on it before windows loads, to gain access to my infected computer and indeed the internet without being constantly blocked by the malware. I was able therefore to prepare some of the attachments which you requested such as copy files which I attach to this plea for help. You must forgive me for not knowing how I should link this to my original request as I don't wish to have two of your experts dealing with the same query! I am also at a complete loss as to why I have been able to use my infected machine just by getting into it via a desktop item before windows had fully loaded?
Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 November 2010 - 07:39 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB