Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Action

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 2csusej

2csusej

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

After many trouble free years of use my laptop has become infected with Antivirus Action. Unfortunately I only discovered your site after trying to delete masses of "apparently" infected files!
However, I have since tried several ideas gleaned from your site's removal instructions with the following results:-
1. Tried getting into safe mode using F8 key. This was unsuccessful as no promp comes up now prior to windows loading. Even without the prompt I have tried using F8 constantly but still no access to safe working.
2. Tried msconfig to gain access but the malware blocks my attempts.
3. Tried connecting to the internet but the only website it will allow me into is the one advertising Antivirus Action at $69.99 with no viable alternative. It seems that the only intelligent thing I have done to date is not to pay for the download!
4. Have tried to access system, program and many other files but, again, I am blocked from doing anything which has the slightest effect on this virus? Trojan? or whatever it is?
5. Tried to run recovery and system discs but it won't let me do that either: It will however allow me to open these and load them as individual files to my documents folder. I hasten to add, but to no avail!

Being a novice (as will be patently obvious to you by now, if not before!) to this type of problem, several questions come to mind.
a. Can safe mode be accessed in any other way?
b. Is it possible for me to clear everything from the hard drive and start reloading everything again?
c. In the case of "b" above, would it be possible to save my documents folder prior to deleting all on the hard drive? Or would these files still be infected even if I did manage to save them?

Is there another way?

Best regards,

Peter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 2csusej

2csusej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi, I contacted you yesterday with the following query:-

After many trouble free years of use my laptop has become infected with Antivirus Action. Unfortunately I only discovered your site after trying to delete masses of "apparently" infected files!
However, I have since tried several ideas gleaned from your site's removal instructions with the following results:-
1. Tried getting into safe mode using F8 key. This was unsuccessful as no promp comes up now prior to windows loading. Even without the prompt I have tried using F8 constantly but still no access to safe working.
2. Tried msconfig to gain access but the malware blocks my attempts.
3. Tried connecting to the internet but the only website it will allow me into is the one advertising Antivirus Action at $69.99 with no viable alternative. It seems that the only intelligent thing I have done to date is not to pay for the download!
4. Have tried to access system, program and many other files but, again, I am blocked from doing anything which has the slightest effect on this virus? Trojan? or whatever it is?
5. Tried to run recovery and system discs but it won't let me do that either: It will however allow me to open these and load them as individual files to my documents folder. I hasten to add, but to no avail!

Being a novice (as will be patently obvious to you by now, if not before!) to this type of problem, several questions come to mind.
a. Can safe mode be accessed in any other way?
b. Is it possible for me to clear everything from the hard drive and start reloading everything again?
c. In the case of "b" above, would it be possible to save my documents folder prior to deleting all on the hard drive? Or would these files still be infected even if I did manage to save them?

Is there another way?

Best regards,

Peter.

I have today been successful, in that I managed, by putting a "shortcut to system" icon on my desktop and clicking on it before windows loads, to gain access to my infected computer and indeed the internet without being constantly blocked by the malware. I was able therefore to prepare some of the attachments which you requested such as copy files which I attach to this plea for help. You must forgive me for not knowing how I should link this to my original request as I don't wish to have two of your experts dealing with the same query! I am also at a complete loss as to why I have been able to use my infected machine just by getting into it via a desktop item before windows had fully loaded?

Again,

Best regards,

Peter

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 November 2010 - 07:39 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users