Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combine switch and router on network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cbird01

cbird01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

2 network devices via LAN ports / Internet from U10C018 cable modem via WAN port ------> Wireless router WL-520GU(1WAN+4LAN)------> 8 port switch -------->7 network devices (with one port going to wireless router)

We want a static IP address environment. My question is can I set up this way and how would I configure the Wireless router so that it is not trying to dynamically assign IP's on the network. I would imagine the cable modem dynamically assigns an IP to the wireless router but I am not sure. We will mostly be attaching via hard wired lan to Laptops, but if someone doesn't need to print or share files they may just connect via wireless.
We share a network printer which also serves as our scanner.

Other Questions:

Would it be better to just add another switch to the first switch?

Any problems with this setup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

From what I understand, when you assign a static IP address to the computer itself, the DHCP on the router will know not to assign the computer a dynamic IP address.

So... if you are using windows, somehow get to your network settings, and from there you get to adapter settings. Once you find the window where it shows your adapters(usually it shows your wireless adapter, your lan adapter, etc), right click on the adapter that you use to connect to your network. Go to properties. Then look for something like "Internet protocol TCP/IPv4." You have to either double click on the TCP/IPv4 thing, or right click it and go to properties. Once you do that, it gives you the option of setting a manual IP address, DNS server, default gateway, etc..

Hope I helped and good luck.

#3 DDave64

DDave64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

You can certainly set it up with static IPs. It's more work though.

On a computer that is connected and has network access, click on Start, then Run, then type cmd and press Enter. In the DOS window that opens, type ipconfig /all and press Enter. You will be looking for some information that looks like this.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1

This will give you some information that you will need to assign the IP addresses. Set the Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Server values the same for all devices. The IP addresses have to be unique but the first three sets of numbers have to be the same and must match the first three sets of numbers of the gateway. For instance, in this example, if you had 7 laptops each with a wired and wireless adapter, you could use 192.168.10.2 through 192.168.10.16 and statically one to each adapter.

The Default Gateway should be the internal IP address of your router. To keep the router from handing out IP addresses, log into your router using a web browser at http:\\your_router's_ip_address, and disable DHCP for the LAN side.

You are correct -- the cable modem will assign a dynamic IP to the WAN side of the router.

Hope this helps.

But may I ask why you want to use static IPs if you are using laptops? If you are using static IPs and want to switch from wired to wireless, you will need to assign an IP address to each adapter. And if you use the laptop anywhere else besides your home network, you would need to go back into tne adapter settings and reenable DHCP.

Also why would you differentiate between connecting wired or wireless depending on if someone needs to print or share files? You can do both from both -- it makes no difference..

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users