Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes, Randomly After Install Of Network Adapter

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this board, and it seems like I'll be sticking around. I've been looking for a place like this for a while and by the searches I've done, I already feel at home.

Here's my system specs first off:

Compaq Presario desktop model s6500nx w/ AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16ghz and 512mb of ram. I'm currently running Windows XP 2002 Home Edition w/ service pack 2 installed. It's completely "stock" except for an ATI RADEON 9200 gold I installed about 3 months ago.

I'm using this desktop with a wireless network adapter (Belkin Wireless G USB #F5D7050) which I am using because the previous network adapter (Linksys Wireless G USB #WUSB54G) was giving me the SAME problems!

The wireless router I'm using is a Linksys 802.11g 2.4ghz #DI524.

Here's my problem:

My computer randomly locks up forcing me to completely cut the power and reboot...The mouse freezes and the screen just locks up, keeping me from doing anything, even CTRL+ALT+DLT. It's like it "locks" or "suspends" itself randomly.

My computer NEVER EVER locked up like this before installing/putting it on the wireless network.

I've taken the advice of Belkin and Linksys customer support and uninstalled the drivers and tried installing the software in another USB port, but it hasn't changed anything.

The other computer on my network is my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop with the "stock" Intel wireless network card...But, the problem doesn't happen with the laptop, only the desktop PC.

It's really frustrating that every day I have to cut the power on my computer and reboot it over and over again.

I hope that's enough information for you guys, I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:45 AM

Have you run antivirus and antispyware checks? Do you have a firewall installed?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

Yes,

I'm using McAfee Security 2005 and run Spyware Doctor about once a week.

The firewall I use is through McAfee and I also have Windows Firewall on.

Thanks.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:30 AM

Are you running antispyware? Have you run any online scans?
Is your firewall blocking any out going requests?

Try running..

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition

If they don't turn up malware try these.

Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

I still believe you have malware on your computer. I could be wrong, but the solution I am offering is freeware and very effective. MS antispyware and Spybot have monitors that will help protect your computer even if they don't detect anything. Adaware has to be run manually in it's freeware verison.
I would use Ewido last since the trial is only 14 days. It is a very good scanner software once the trial is over and worth keeping.
Keep us updated.

#5 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm at work right now, so when I get home I'll get those programs and see what kind (if any) malware is on my computer.

I'll let you guys know,

Thanks,

Daniel

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

Good luck. We will be here.

#7 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:21 AM

So, when I got home from work yesterday, I rebooted the computer in safe mode so it's stable enough to run the disk defragmenter program.

It's still defragging and has 52% left at about 4:40 when I left this morning.

I also ran McAfee Virus Scan and there was nothing.

I then ran Spyware Doctor and found 446 infections, all related to Wild Tangent...Hmmm...So, I wonder if that's where my problem was/is?

When I get home from work today, it should be done defragging and I'll see if it's still locking up, and if it is, I'll get the programs you guys recommended to see/remove any malware on my HD.

Thanks again,

Daniel

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:50 AM

Go into the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and delete everything related to unkown software. If you are not sure uninstall it and reinstall later if you find you need it. Wild Tangant is related to online games. You will have a folder in the ADD/REMOVE label Wild Tagant if your antispyware has not removed it.
Also DL and run cCleaner. This will remove cookies and tempfiles.

#9 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Ok...

So, I downloaded AdAware, Spybot, CCleaner, MS AntiVirus Beta and got rid of some pretty severe looking problems/malware/spyware.

It didn't seem to fix the problem though, after I defragged, did a disk cleanup, and ran all the spyware/virus removing programs my computer runs much better, but it's still having the same symptoms, but the LOCK-UPS seem less frequent. :thumbsup:

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin Wireless Adapter and noticed I got a warning like this when installing the software:

Posted Image

As you can see, this is for a PRINTER not the Network Adapter but it's the same exact message.

So, I checked out what HCL and MS's approved list is, and the Belkin Wireless Adapter that I have IS NOT THERE! So...That probably means there's a conflict with my computer/XP because the Belkin network adapter is not on that list....Correct???

Let me know what you think,

Thanks again for the help,

Daniel

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:38 AM

That probably means there's a conflict with my computer/XP because the Belkin network adapter is not on that list....Correct???

No that probably means Belkin refused to sign up to Microsofts plan for World Domination. Loads of things install with that message and work perfectly. MS is just saying if you have any problems they are not going to fix it.

I think you need to run more scans on your system - did you install Ewido as advised?

Try some online scans -
Online trojan scanner: http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Here are some links to free online Anti-Virus scans. They do take some time to load and run and in some cases you can only use Internet Explorer, with ActiveX enabled, to access them but they are an excellent support for your existing anti-virus program. Run a couple of them:

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address. Requires Active-X components to be installed. Approx 12MB download.

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Internet Explorer only. Must agree to a EULA. Need to allow installation of an Active X component.Some of the options are not clearly explained.

McAfee online scan - http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

Security Advisor - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)
or http://housecall.antivirus.com/ (IE only)

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
Link to 'Online Scan' at the top rhs of the page. Requires IE and Active-X components.
"does not scan RAM, boot sectors and MBRs, so it cannot detect malicious code located in these areas."

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

SUCCESS!!!!

First off, I just want to say thanks for all the help guys.

Second...I had a revelation last night!

Long story short, I went to CompUsa today and bought a new 4-USB 2.0 PCI card on sale for $14.95, regular $39.95!!!

That was my problem the whole time, my computer for some reason (being just under 2 years old) didn't like the new Belkin and Linksys hardware (that is made for USB 2.0) on my computer with USB 1.1.

So, that was just it...I plugged in the USB into an empty PCI slot, started up the computer, reinstalled the Belkin Wireless Adapter and everything works perfectly, it's been on since 10:30am and HAS NOT CRASHED/FROZE one time!

:thumbsup: x10000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Daniel

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

Way to go Daniel! It's alway fun when you can figure it out by yourself. :thumbsup:
You Topic and fix, I have no doubt will help someone else.

:flowers: Good job! :trumpet:

#13 boosted84wagon

boosted84wagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

I really hope this thread will help people...Obviously, I know how much of a pain this problem was!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

Good deal!

#15 T2nrR

T2nrR

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

[font=Book Antiqua][b][color=#000099]Hi Folks,

I also have been having freezing problems on my Compaq Presario after having installed a Linksys wireless adapter. I have determined, however, that I DO have 2.0 USB ports already on my computer, so it doesn't seem to me that busted84wagon's fix will work for me. I have done everything he has done previously with scans, etc., but to no avail. Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users