Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows dying after multiple clean installs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amedeus

Amedeus

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi, guys. I bought an Acer Aspire 5741Z-5539, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, back in August. Towards the end of September, it basically ate itself from the inside out. First, I had to run Startup Repair every couple days. It went really slow and took about an hour and a half to complete the whole process each time. After about a week, Windows itself got a little wonky. With Windows Explorer freezing more and more often, and then Firefox beginning to have problems. I booted up in Safe Mode and that worked for a little bit before the Start menu froze again anyways. A couple days later I tried to start it up again to transfer my files off of it, and it ran Startup Repair once again, but this time it couldn't repair it.

So, my dad has a little device used to hook laptop HDDs up to another computer as an external. But it wouldn't come up on the other computers. I got a friend of mine who's pretty good with this type of thing to help out. He tried to access the drive through Ubuntu and still couldn't get at it. Eventually, we got the files off by hooking it up directly to his desktop somehow and got the files off, and I did a clean install of Windows Ultimate 32-bit (the 32-bit downgrade was on purpose).

This was a few weeks ago. It was running fine since then. Then around a week ago, the computer stopped recognizing how charged the battery was. It wouldn't charge past 89%, and it wouldn't deplete past 6% (even after setting the minimum to 3% - as low as the factory presets will let it go). I've tried recalibrating the battery many times, and it hasn't done any good at all.

A few days ago, the computer got weird again. Windows Explorer started freezing up a bunch, the desktop began having trouble loading upon startup, the taskbar doesn't work properly, and Firefox was once again running abnormally slow. So I booted up in Safe Mode, got everything off early this time, and did another clean install of Windows Ultimate. At the moment, Windows is working fine once again, but the battery is still not being recognized properly.

Now, I want to say it's a faulty hard drive here. But the battery thing worries me that it might be the computer itself. What would everyone's opinion on this be? Fingers crossed it's just the HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

You could try replacing the hard drive anyway. That should tell you if it's just the HDD or something more serious. You've only had the laptop a few months so if you're still under warranty you could just send it back.

Bit confused over what version of windows you have, is it Windows 7 Home premium or 7 Ultimate?

Btw, I'm fairly new on the forum so feel free to wait for a more experienced BC member and take their advice.

#3 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

It came with Home Premium on it, but since Acer doesn't ship it with a Windows disc and they want twenty bucks for a recovery disc, I got a copy of Ultimate from one of my friends and reinstalled with that, instead.

#4 trebormuhaha

trebormuhaha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

Download the UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and run the manufactures testing software on the drive it will let you know pretty quick if the HDD is faulty
Best things since sliced bread

Download UBCD here
UBCD

Trend Micro House Call make sure those nasty little buggers are gone
Click here

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

If you are using the license accompanying your friends version of Ultimate...you are endangering his continued use of said license.

It's illegal to have the same license apply to two systems (unless it's a Win 7 3-pack or such) and the license for your system is different (Win 7 Home Premium).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users