Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One of a kind keyboard issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

What's up guys. I'm having some serious software issues. I was just hanging around on a website and suddenly my keyboard stopped working. My mouse still worked. No keys worked at all. Instead, the regular letters were no shortcuts for weird tasks. I tried all the keys and the mouse pointer would kind of flicker and windows explorer would kind of flicker.

I tried three different keyboards so we know its the software or the bios perhaps. I restarted and I got a message that said "ntldr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart". Not found or missing... one of those. I got onto some screen by pressing all of the f buttons at the top since one alone didn't work, and then when I got into bios the keys still didn't work. So I decided to install a fresh version of XP home edition. After the formatting and all the important stuff, in the xp setup page the keys still didn't work. The only key i noticed worked was g, and only one time. It would not allow two g's like this: gg,next to each other.

I had to assign a user name so I pressed all the buttons and somehow I typed "das" for the user name. Then when I would press some keys I would get this weird character: ▐, which ended up being my password I think. That was the only character it would type. When I logged on to windows my desktop had no icons. My mouse however worked perfectly and the screen didn't flicker but the key wouldn't work at all.

The only thing I can remember was that the day before I deleted a file called i386 because I'm an idiot and never seen it before. I looked it up on the internet and it said it was safe to delete because it was only left over file from an update or something to that extent. The next morning my computer was off, and I turned it on and it worked fine all day.

Then suddenly the keyboard stopped working. I tried booting from the cd and going into repair mode and trying to copy i386 from the cd but it said "access denied". I tried every combination of copy C:\i386\ntldr C:\ or something like that. After the reformatting, I didn't get the ntldr is missing message, but no keyboards worked.

One weird thing was that soon as the desktop loaded, I went to run because it was the quickest way for me to type something and see if the keyboard worked, and I could type fine for about one and a half seconds and then it locked back up again. I typed something like this:adfadfa, because it was fast. I couldn't duplicate this result. Is this still an ntldr problem? I couldn't find any problem like this online anywhere. BTW the keyboard works perfect in bios mode. This is how I was able to type in the command to copy the i386 file. I can find the ntldr file when I go to my computer, it is very small, less than 300kb.

Anyways sorry this is so long but shouldn't reformatting and installing a fresh copy of windows xp fix this problem?

If it helps I have a gateway computer bought in around 2002 I think and I'm not sure what bios it is because when I first start it up instead of saying the bios it says my video card which is a 5200 ultra. It says Nvidia FX5200 Ultra Bios. The boot disk is an older version of xp home that came with the computer back in 2002.

PS: I have 8MB of unpartitioned space.

Merged duplicate topics ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2010 - 08:36 AM.
Merged topics re same issues ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:29 AM

I reformatted the hard drive again and now the keyboard doesn't work at all so I am stuck in the middle of a windows installation. Can't get into bios either. BTW none of the keyboards are USB.

Edited by pconstantinescu, 23 November 2010 - 05:40 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

If the keyboard doesn't work...how did you accomplish this reformat?

<<BTW the keyboard works perfect in bios mode>>

<<The boot disk is an older version of xp home that came with the computer back in 2002.>>

What model Gateway system?

Did you follow the instructions Gateway provided for your system...concerning reinstalling or restoring to factory defaults?

Louis

#4 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

If the keyboard doesn't work...how did you accomplish this reformat?

<<BTW the keyboard works perfect in bios mode>>

<<The boot disk is an older version of xp home that came with the computer back in 2002.>>

What model Gateway system?

Did you follow the instructions Gateway provided for your system...concerning reinstalling or restoring to factory defaults?

Louis

Thanks for your reply Louis I ended up fixing it. How? I have no clue. During the windows setup the keyboard didn't work so I clicked the regional setting and copy and pasted "Tuesday" into the name of computer and organization. Then I couldn't find any more things that I could copy and paste on the next setup stage and I just pressed all the keys whole bunch of times over and over and after like 5 continous minutes it unjammed I guess and it just started working. I have no clue how this worked. I guess idiot's luck?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

LOL...much better to be lucky than skilled when it comes to many things :).

If you have any problems, you know where we are...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users