Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory restore without recovery disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdj0202

jdj0202

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hello,

I bought a new Sony Vaio VGN-AR870 laptop in June of 2008 and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I seem to have managed to bog it down recently and it's operating slower and slower and has been for a while. I've remembered how it used to perform when I first bought it so I'd like to restore it to factory settings and give it another go, so to speak. I did not receive recovery disks nor did I make any when I received the laptop. How best should I go about this? My system restores are all set to points within the past few months so that's a no go. Could I utilize a windows vista recovery disk of a friends and just manually install the drivers from the Vaio esupport website?

Thanks for reading,

Jordan

p.s. If there's any way I can make this problem clearer please don't hesitate to let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:39 AM

See here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4558680_create-restore-disc-sony-vaio.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jdj0202

jdj0202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

I tried that before I posted here; I'm unsure how to recreate the recovery drive. See error posting below.

Posted Image

#4 jdj0202

jdj0202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

Update; I managed to unhide and add a drive letter to the recovery drive but the built in "create recovery disks" option still does not find the drive. I'm assuming it's set to look at a particular number where I labeled mine as the "G" drive. Is there another program I could use to convert this drive to a set of recovery disks? I have easyBCD but if there's something better to use, please inform. Thanks.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

I think, your best option would be to call Sony and order recovery disks. They won't be expensive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Antriksh Y

Antriksh Y

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:17 AM

Was is second-hand?

Because if there is a program to create recovery disks, there should be a recovery partition on the drive. Did you have it wiped out? If you can get hold of a Windows DVD, install it and manually download the drivers from Sony. There's no problem with that.
Do visit my tech blog, Right Now In Tech, follow it on Twitter and Like it on Facebook

#7 jdj0202

jdj0202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Antriksh Y; what I did was unhide and reassign a number to the recovery partition and set that to my boot drive instead of the normal C drive - it was treated as if my laptop was starting up for the first time and it promptly wiped the C drive clean and to factory state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users