Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Windows XP SP3 (from SP2); Error asks me to insert Office CD to continue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flustered77

flustered77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

I recently bought Photoshop CS5 Extended which requires a minimum operating system of Windows XP Service Pack 3 in order to run (I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2) so I've been trying to install SP3 but have had no luck. Here's what I've done so far:

I initially went to Automatic Updates and checked the box next to Service Pack 3 and then clicked Install but after about 5 seconds it stopped and told me I needed to insert the Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers CD-ROM in order to continue. I have no recollection of ever having or using such a CD, but I searched high and low through all my installation discs anyway. I did find an installation CD for "Microsoft Office XP Professional" but apparently it's not the same thing since it didn't work when I put it in; I'm pretty sure this Office CD came with my old XP laptop back in 2005 and not with my current HP machine. I've got to assume that "Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers" came pre-installed with my HP computer when I bought it in December of 2007, although I'm not positive about this.

After this I did a google search for the problem and found this thread: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/30b7cd19-b458-4cd5-a130-47118f8782e7
In it a user with a similar problem is told to download the "Office XP SP3 Full File version" program from the Microsoft website and install it that way to avoid having to insert the CD. I tried to do this but after downloading and running the file it went a few seconds through the installation before telling me I needed to insert the Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers CD-ROM to continue. At this point I called Microsoft tech support, talked to a few people and was transferred around without getting any real answers and finally after several hours of being on hold I gave up. I then decided to just uninstall Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers from my computer and install Microsoft Office XP Professional instead since I had the physical CD on hand and it sounded like it was more or less the same thing. Well, I uninstalled Office Standard for Students and put the Office XP Professional disc in but nothing happened. I tried manually opening the CD with Windows Explorer and then running the files inside (CAG.MSI, INSTMSI.EXE, INSTMSIW.EXE and SETUP.EXE) but all any of them would do was install "Microsoft Office XP Media Content" which appears to be nothing more than a few megabytes of clip art...no Office or any of its programs. I then realized that there were supposed to be 2 CDs in the Office XP Professional case but I only had the first one for whatever reason so that may be why it didn't install Office when I put it in.

So now I have no Office on my computer whatsoever and no Office CDs to install it again either (I'm fairly certain that I never had them to begin with since it seems to have been pre-installed with this machine) and I *still* can't upgrade to Service Pack 3 since upon going to Automatic Updates and trying to install SP3 again it no longer asked for the CD-ROM but instead just immediately told me the installation failed and now Windows XP Service Pack 3 isn't even listed as an option in the Automatic Updates window anymore. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point...what CAN i do? Do I have to shell out $230.00 to buy another copy of Office XP all over again just to get my Office programs back and get SP3 installed? I figure that since I legitimately purchased and own Microsoft Office XP Professional already and have the original case with the Product Key sticker still on it and also legitimately purchased and own a machine that had another version of Office XP pre-installed on it that I should be able to get things working again *somehow* without buying it all over again, I just don't know how. Any help or advice on the matter and what I should do would be *much* appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

What is your current HP system model?

Your title is about XP...all your typing is about Office.

Is XP currently installed and working?

FWIW: There is no logical reason...why Office (an installed program) would prevent XP SP3 from installing, IMO.

Louis

#3 flustered77

flustered77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

What is your current HP system model?

Your title is about XP...all your typing is about Office.

Is XP currently installed and working?

FWIW: There is no logical reason...why Office (an installed program) would prevent XP SP3 from installing, IMO.

Louis

Well I don't really care about Office that much, that just seems to be the thing getting in the way of my ability to install XP SP3. What I'm most concerned about is simply getting the upgrade to work so that my new OS is SP3 instead of SP2.

My computer is an HP Compaq dc7800 CMT and yes, XP is currently installed and working.

I'm not sure why Office is preventing XP SP3 from installing, but like I said, it wouldn't let me get any further in the installation once it asked me to insert the Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers CD-ROM which I don't have and now that I've uninstalled Office it's not even giving me the option for SP3 at all anymore.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well...HP systems have particular instructions/procedures for installing SP3. You probably should review those, since some HP systems had problems installing SP3 where the owners/users did not follow the proceure which evolved.

HP Instructions for SP3, http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&printable=no&product=1842748&docname=c01458193

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2010 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users