Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HDD Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brayx262

brayx262

• Members
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm getting ready to install a new hard drive in my lappy to up it from 80 gb to 320 and I've up'd my ram from 2 to 4 gb getting ready to move up to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Business. I looked through the HDD section and found plenty on diagnosis and repair advice but not much on new install advice unless I missed something. I already followed the link you provided and checked out what Hitachi had to offer but didn't find much other than back-up, diagnose and repair tools. Can anyone give me some advice on setting up the new one or a link to something I might have missed, or will everything already be pre-configured out of the box? The one I'm putting in is a Hitachi TravelStar 320gb, 7200 rpm, 16gb cache, 3gb/s. I want to make sure I do this right the first shot and not screw things up so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, :)
Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

Make sure the laptop is SATA for the new harddrive. That's about it, no need to setup the hard drive and the Hitachi TravelStar works well when i fitted it in for a relatives laptop.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 brayx262

brayx262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 216 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

OK. Thank you. They are SATA drive. I thought they should be pretty much plug and go but wanted to be sure, and see if there were any tricks for partitioning or anything that would make thing run better and more secure. Now all I have to do is find the 64 bit drivers to get things going. All Dell has on their D/L link is 32 bit. :angry: Go figure. :huh: Will be checking the B.C. driver page to see if I can get lucky, otherwise I'll have to hope I can get them from the vendor sites. And here I thought this might be an easy change over. :hysterical: Anyway, :whistle:, I appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Bruce

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

There is a good tutorial that walks you through the process. It can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:31 AM

OK. Thank you. They are SATA drive. I thought they should be pretty much plug and go but wanted to be sure, and see if there were any tricks for partitioning or anything that would make thing run better and more secure. Now all I have to do is find the 64 bit drivers to get things going. All Dell has on their D/L link is 32 bit. :angry: Go figure. :huh: Will be checking the B.C. driver page to see if I can get lucky, otherwise I'll have to hope I can get them from the vendor sites. And here I thought this might be an easy change over. :hysterical: Anyway, :whistle:, I appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Bruce

Good luck on finding your 64bit drivers :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Pls post the make/model of your laptop so that we can look for the drivers for you

Thx
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Pls post the make/model of your laptop so that we can look for the drivers for you

Thx

It's in his profile.

Dell Latitude E5400 Laptop

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 brayx262

brayx262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 216 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hey guys,

Mark this one on the calendar!! Microsoft actually used their heads for once this time. Ran the install and low and behold!! They actually put the drivers on the disc for Windows 7 :woot: , I didn't have to D/L and run them manually like I did for Vista. I only had 1 that the action center flagged as missing/ outdated and it give me the link to the page to get it. I t wasn't as bad a job as I figured it would be other than restoring canned's, bookmarks pic.'s etc I saved. Now I gotta do momma's for her so she quits raggin' me and we'll be all good. Thanks for the feed back, but I thought I'd let y'all know in case someone else was bumping up to Win. 7, it's not too bad after all.

Thanks and I'll see ya around :thumbup2:
Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users