Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Reanimation (bring back to life...)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

My Hard Drive is busted and me being always an optimist, I think my data can still be rescued. I was told by the repair guy that theres a company called drivesavers.com . They charge $700 apparently, altho I havent looked at them myself yet. A friend said her friend might be able to remount or whatever the disk (I think the problem is that its off the axle/rotor, which means it could technically be repaired and the data skimmed off. I also thought about talking to Apple if they may be able to do something (for starters, give me/the repair centre an extension on the return date).

Does anyone know of any miracle workers out there or ideas or past experience or anything? I dont want to give up all hope if there still is a chance at recovery.

Thanks for any help as always.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

-Is this an internal hard drive for a desktop, or laptop?
-Or is this an external hard drive in a box that plugs in with e-sata/usb/firewire?
-Also was this repair guy using any diagnostic software to determine that the hard drive was busted? (What proof does he / she have to back up that it is ka-put?)
-How has it been acting and has it been making any noises?

Please add as much detail as possible.

The company I work for we do a similar service with a third party company that we ship off customer's hard drives to and they will pull data from the hard drive discs and place it on to a new hard drive and ship back to us to then give to the customer. Normally this service depending on the extent is quite pricey just like the $700 your tech mentioned. The reason is these processes are very delicate and in some cases have to be done in a "clean room" not so much anti-viral but more anti static, zero dust.. one wrong move and there goes granny's 80th birthday party photo with scruffy licking the cake icing. And it is pretty involved with some amount of labor. The reason I'm saying this is don't take this project lightly, depending on the damage it could be a simple fix or it may be unrecoverable. As well as one wrong step and you may lose everything.

Someone here may be more knowledgeable than myself, I'm interested in hearing the feedback on this topic as well. I've heard all sorts of home fix jobs involving a freezer, soldering iron, removing or altering the circuit board, and magic fairy dust.

#3 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

Internal for a laptop
He tried to recover with whatever standard basic recovery process there is. By hooking it up to another system. The HD turned on, presumably spun for a second, and halted. They tried it twice i think.

Yeah I know about the delicate nature and all that. *sigh* Im looking at all my options. I cant afford and its not worth that kind of money, but I think it may be worth a shot to try the less certain methods. My alternative to them is I get nothing, so even a small chance at getting half the data is worth trying.

Theres another place nearby that may be able to do physical-based recovery so Im going to call them tomorrow.

Apple may still have something they can do. They want the HD back because it was under warranty. That also means they probably plan to analyze it. Why cant they also get my data off, even at a (relative) small fee... Or back to DriveSavers, maybe they have some experimental new practice they want to try, but need a hard drive to try it on. Again, it may not get me anything, but idleness will guarantee nothing.

backups backups backups... >_>

#4 trebormuhaha

trebormuhaha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

if it is a single platter drive and if you can get exactly the same model drive you can try this at your own risk

first swap the PCB from the working drive to the non work drive and test calibration can cause clunking

if that doesn't work open the dead drive and remove the platter (is round and shiny and not to hard to spot) make sure you use gloves that haven't ever been used before and only handle the drive with them nothing else don't even touch hand part of the glove with your bare hands also make sure you are in a very clean room bath room is pretty good normally.

Then remove the platter from the good drive and put the platter from the dead drive into the good drive and put it back together take to your pc copy data and put both drives in the bin.

i have done this 3 times and got the data every time but i haven't tried to do more then a single platter drive
Best things since sliced bread

Download UBCD here
UBCD

Trend Micro House Call make sure those nasty little buggers are gone
Click here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users