Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch user sound doesn't work for first person to log in.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

The tittle about says it all. I initially thought this was a virus or malware, so I formatted my harddrvie and re-installed windows.

It initially worked, but after a day of re-installing my programs it now doesn't work again...

The sound works all other times though. For example if I log in on my user account 'Kairyun' I can switch users but it makes no noise. if I log into my mother's account 'Roxanne' when she switches users the sound works just fine.

If I completely log off of 'Kairyun' and log back in the switch user sound will work fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hi :).

If your account is the only one experiencing this...I'd say that your profile is damaged.

If you log into a different account and then switch to yours...and it works...probably not a profile issue.

The other plausible item would be defective/damaged sound drivers...it won't hurt to uninstall them (using Device Manager) and then reboot and reinstall them.

It also would not hurt to run the chkdsk /r command (Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter...type Y in new screen and hit Enter...reboot system) before doing anything regarding reinstalling audio drivers.

Louis

#3 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hey :)
First of all I'd like to thank you for replying.

It's not only my account that faces this problem, it's the first account to log in after I turn the computer on.
I tried uninstalling rebooting and reinstalling my sound drivers from the device manager, and none of that worked.

I took your suggestion and ran chkdsk /r as you told me to. Nothing's changed :(.
I'm going to give this one more shot and try the sound drivers again. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: OOh! It seems that while windows was updating itself in the background, when I switched users during it, the sound worked perfectly fine! But after the update requested I re-boot and then the problem came back :(

Edited by ArtistInNeed, 23 November 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#4 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hmm ok I tried the drivers again, still no results :(
Even if you have no other suggestions I'd still like to hear from you again to know that you've received my thanks :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

Well...the only other place that I could go...would be a failing hardware item.

I would check Event Viewer for possible clues. Look at the detail for errors listed.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#6 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

I've been checking the event viewer for the past few days, and nothing has pointed towards any hardware failure...

The odd thing is that it works only sometimes...
Like right now, windows didn't do any updates (atleast they haven't popped up in the taskbar) and switching users makes the chime.
Sometimes when I restart the computer and test it again, it works fine. Other times the issue comes back :(

Hmm rather peculiar, thanks for your help so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users