Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change display DPI setting back....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 whosyer12

whosyer12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hello --because of eyesight issues, I had long ago changed my Display DPI settings (under advanced display properties) to large size. I ran across a web page I needed to use but couldn't because the text overlapped. I read that the large setting on display was the likely culprit so I changed it back to normal. That didn't fix my website overlap problem so now I'm trying to get my large size DPI display back. When I try to apply changes a "File Needed" box pops up indicating that I need the file "dosap.fon" and prompts me to insert my o/s cd/rom--which I've done- to no avail.
The cd won't even show up in the D drive in the browse box.

Any ideas? I need the larger display dpi badly and hate to have to re-install the entire o/s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:41 AM

Do a System Restore to a date prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 whosyer12

whosyer12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Unfortunately, it's turned off.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

I suggest run a search on the system drive for dosapp.fon (note spelling). Normally the file will exist in some location, possibly more than one. If it exists on the drive, note where it can be found, and when the dialog asks for the disk, try changing the location to where you found the file. You may need to do the same for more than one file, but it may do the trick.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 whosyer12

whosyer12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

No luck on search-- also no luck searching cd/rom's Drivers and Utilities and re-installation O/S CD. File was not deleted --I used large display for last 5 years on this computer --just changed to normal for 1 day and can't change back---got to be a glitch of some sort.

In doing a google search for this there appears to be a similar thread that desribes the fix--but the link as to how is over 7 years old and is dead. Hoping someone will see this that is familiar with problem.

#6 whosyer12

whosyer12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Bump---anyone?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

Are you definitely searching with the double "p" spelling? In the Search Companion "All FIles and Folders" criterion, in "More advanced options" are the "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" options checked?

prompts me to insert my o/s cd/rom--which I've done- to no avail.
The cd won't even show up in the D drive in the browse box.

I take it your CD/DVD drive is actually the D: drive? Does the drive show the contents of the CD when viewed with the Explorer or in My Computer?

#8 whosyer12

whosyer12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

it shows contents in my computer ---but NOT in the browse box in the File Missing pop-up and yes that is my D drive

Edited by whosyer12, 24 November 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Try changing the destination in the dialog to D:\I386 rather than just D:

That's the folder where the file is on the CD, and the installer is easily confused.

#10 whosyer12

whosyer12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

WIN!!! Thanks so much!

#11 Platypus

Platypus