Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie-O

Stevie-O

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi all,

so I think I screwed up my father-in-law's PC. I tried adding a partition (with Partition Magic) on his XP Pro and I got an error msg - error code 1531 - too few clusters. Needless to say at that point, I had to reboot and once I did that, it went to the "Windows did not shut down properly...." screen, with all the options for Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration, Normal Boot etc. I tried all of them, but as soon as it loaded up to the Windows XP progress bar, it'd start all over.

It's an old machine... specs are:

-Windows XP Pro SP3
-Seanix SiS-651 mobo
-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
-111gb WD HD
-512mb RAM

I do have the XP install CD. I'd prefer to fix it rather than re-install, but if it's easier to do the latter, than so be it.

Any suggestions before I attempt it myself would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Stevie-O, 22 November 2010 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Try running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console, http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/pfdocs/2004072344243562?Open&docid=2004072344243562&nsf=powerquest.nsf .

Louis

#3 Stevie-O

Stevie-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

Louis,

I ran chkdsk - it found and corrected one error, but that didn't change anything.

Although one thing I did notice, and this could of been happening before too but happened so quickly that I missed it, is that the BSOD appears before it reboots. I couldn't tell you what it says though... it doesn't remain on screen long enough for me to read.

Any suggestions? I'm still curious to see if I can fix this before doing a complete re-install. I know that's probably my easiest and quickest solution, and I do have all the data backed up as well.

thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

I put out an SOS for additional help by listing this on our Unbootable Computers thread...try to be patient :).

Louis

#5 Stevie-O

Stevie-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

thanks, it's much appreciated.

Just to let you know, I do have a 2nd desktop where I can install the non-booting HD into as a slave (if that can help at all)

Although I know a fresh install will probably fix everything, I also want to make sure the HD itself is still properly functioning. If the HD was going bad, I assume I'd run into problems in the near future even after a fresh install. So if there are any tools that can help determine the condition of the HD (other than chkdsk) I'd like to explore those as well.

thanks again!

Edited by Stevie-O, 23 November 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#6 Bank of California

Bank of California

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/Diag504fCD.iso

Download and burn the ISO.
Follow the prompt to test your hard drive.

#7 Stevie-O

Stevie-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

I downloaded that utility and the CD doesn't work for some reason. I did burn the iso image correctly too. It boots up, and almost seems like it's going to run but then the screen just goes black and nothing happens. I did a search and found a support site where other users complained of the same thing

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Software-Accessories/Data-Lifeguard-Diagnostic-doesn-t-start-What-wrong/td-p/23983

I found an alternative utility called SeaTools that does the same thing more or less

#8 Bank of California

Bank of California

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Yea I see that problem sometimes... normally I wait a minute or turn off and back on the screen.

Seatools will be great. Do the long test.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Those hard drive utilities...in spite of what other may say...are guaranteed to work ONLY on the respective drive of the manufacturer.

Running SeaTools for DOS/Windows...on a Hitachi drive...is not something i'd suggest.

Louis

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

Please do the following:

Let's get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users