Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 crashing on windows starting screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lime Pie

Lime Pie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

When I start my laptop it says windows startup recovery, I normally select this option, it then says loading windows files it then ether gets stuck on windows starting screen or goes black after that and nothing happens.

I tried to do system recovery and the same thing happens

I tried to use my windows7 CD and it says loading windows files but the same thing happens

I tried to do low graphic option in case it was a screen fault, the same thing happens.

I tried safe mode option and it gets stuck on classpnp.sys file

I then used a linux puppy CD (partly just to get to my files just in case) this works fine, I tried to change the name of classpnp.sys like it said in another forum but its write protected.

Any ideas guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1peter1

1peter1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

hdd might be dead. Back up what you can and reformat, then the reinstall from windows 7 DVD should work.

#3 Lime Pie

Lime Pie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:16 AM

surely if it was I wouldn't be able to access any of my files? how do I reformat it without going into windows or using the windows CD?

#4 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

You may boot on the ubuntu install disc and backup your data to an usb drive from there. This look to be an hardware problem. If you can't boot on ubuntu or want to troubleshoot the problem anyway, try memory module individually if you have multiple one, try with another power supply if you have a know working one in another computer, unplug non essential device for booting, load bios default. Do theses steps one at a time to see if it resolve the problem.

You could also test your memory (in the case you have only one module) with memtest+ utility on the Ultimate Boot CD disk. You can also test your hard drive with an utility for your hard drive on this disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users