Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pagefile in two parts, why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

By using defraggler, i recently found out that the page file on my os disk is split into two parts. I wonder if this may impact system performance and if so, if there is a fix. The file is 1.5 gb.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Not sure at all...what you mean.

Are you talking physical location on the hard drive...or are you referring to two locations for "pagefile" on the hard drive when looking via Explorer?

All files...may not necessarily be in one contiguous location...that's what fragmentation is.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Right click on My Computer and go to properties
Go to the Advanced tab
Under Performance click settings button
Go to the advanced tab
Under virtual memory click the change button
Click no paging file and then the set button
Click OK and restart
This will temporarily delete the paging file
When the system is restarted repeat the process only this time click system managed size then set
Reboot
This will recreate the paging file and hopefully it will be contiguous
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users