Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very First Build!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hello. So, this will be my first time building a computer. Now, the thing is that, besides actually building the computer, I need all of the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, and mouse.. Although I can probably take care of the keyboard later). I also want to keep is under $1,200, even after shipping. I do plan on playing games, and although I'm not a "hardcore gamer," I would like to be able to play all of my games in high settings, if possible. (I plan on playing Starcraft 2 and Gmod, along with Crysis 2 and Portal 2 when they come out, for instance.) Who knows, maybe I'll be able to go to lan parties. Other than that, this computer will serve as probably any other ordinary computer, with the latest and whatnot. I do want this to last while, at least 4-5ish years (again, if possible). So anyway, if you guys could just take a look at these and tell me if they're good parts, or if not, link me to better parts, than that would be greatly appreciated.

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support I was going to go with the $19.99 one, but this had free shipping, so I figured they would be about the same anyway.

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I hope this is good, I just kind of wanted something with quality and red LEDs.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Some of the reviews say it's silent, so that should be useful.

Hanns·G HZ201HPB Black 20" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor Seems to be pretty cheap for a 20", plus the reviews for it are positive (and is has HDMI!).

ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video I was originally going to get a 460/465, but this one scored better in the benchmarks, plus it was cheaper! Please let me know if this is a good card or not, lol.

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard I couldn't really seem to find one with better reviews in my price range, but it still looks pretty good.

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Logitech M500 Tilt Wheel USB Corded Laser Mouse

All comes down to about $1,131, a little more with shipping.
By the way, do prices typically go down on Black Friday? I've never actually shopped on that day, lol. Do items also go out of stock quickly?

Edited by Orange Milk, 23 November 2010 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Yes and yes as far as black friday. Quality wise looks like a good selection off hand it looks like everything should work, though may I ask why your going with a intel socket 1156 instead of 1366? You do realize that with intels new socket 2011 coming out shortly, the 1366 CPUs and boards should be dropping in price-you may want to hold out a bit for the new socket to come out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Yes, but then wouldn't I need to get a Core i7? Also, how quickly do the items during Black Friday become out of stock? Should I wait when it's 3am and them make a purchase? (Since Newegg is in California and I'm on the east side.)

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

It will be awhile on any price drops on socket 1366 products. The high end replacement for 1366 (the Socket 2011) won't be out until 3Q 2011, and that is ~8-10 months away. The mid level replacement, Sandybridge socket 1155, is due out in Jan 2011.

Looks like a solid build.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

aaaah I see. More of a budgetary thing, ya I see your point. It does look like a solid build, I was just curious.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:08 AM

It looks good, though, if it makes you feel any better, AMD is also coming out with new CPU's and sockets so their stuff is in flux too. Your monitor is also sold out. I suggest going with an LED monitor, they're a bit more expensive but have good contrast, response, and viewing angles. Here are some suggestions:

Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED - Asus is making some great monitors. It's also rare finding HDMI on monitors below this size.

ASUS MS238H Glossy Black 23" - Also an LED, but also stylish. It's one of my favorites.

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 November 2010 - 12:09 AM.

3939.png

#7 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Gaah, now the 6850 is out of stock! Also, I forgot to include the mouse I was planning on buying, so I added that. How long does it take for items to come back in stock?

As for the monitor, I wanted something only 19-20" (preferably 20"), I don't really monitors to be too big.

#8 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

Okay so I'll switch to this model of the 6850 and it looks like I'll have to order on another site this monitor, which has a different model number but still looks to be identical in performance as the other monitor (same applies with the graphics card).

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

I found an LED monitor for about the same: Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED. It is open box though, so you're only getting the monitor. If you don't care about HDMI, you can get a DVI to HDMI dongle BTW, you can get the ASUS VH198T Black 19" 5ms LED Backlight LCD Monitor for roughly the same as your choice. You can also get that graphics card for a little less: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB.

3939.png

#10 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Is that video card you mentioned any different than the one's I had mentioned? I'm just wondering, because it's $20 cheaper, if the performance falls or anything. But if it doesn't, then yeah I'll switch right over to that! I'm surprised I did not see it before.

EDIT: Also, would it matter that this computer would be on carpet? The reason I ask is because the power supply will be mounted at the bottom.. I figure it wouldn't, but I just want to make sure.

Edited by Orange Milk, 24 November 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

Most graphics cards within a same series are identical. Manufacturer's usually stick with the reference designs put out by Nvidia or AMD, occasionally, they do change the cooler to make it less noisy or higher performing. Most differences between manufacturers lie with the bundled items, such as games, warranties, and a step-up program. The 6850 is so new, most, if not all, manufacturers are sticking with reference designs and even stock coolers with different stickers on them. The HIS and Sapphire cards are identical, same clocks and warranties. I've had both Sapphire and HIS cards, both are great brands.

3939.png

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

Since monitors have been brought up here, I have a couple of questions.

First, LCD vs. LED. Aside from the obvious improvement in contrast with LED monitors, I find them to be a bit harder on the eyes. Backlighting is already a strain on eyes (something that the Kindle recognized and has exploited to its advantage), and LED is more so. Are there advantages, other than the contrast, of LED over LCD?

Also, monitors with built-in speakers. I have a set of Kinyo 2.1 speakers that I picked up on a whim at Big Lots once, about five years ago. These are amazing little speakers, considering the fact that I paid all of $8.00 for them. My office is small, and while they are definitely not high end speakers, they suffice. The last monitor I heard with built-in speakers sounded little better than on of the old laptops (like mine), tinny, with no bass response whatsoever. Have the speaker systems in monitors improved lately?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

EDIT: Also, would it matter that this computer would be on carpet? The reason I ask is because the power supply will be mounted at the bottom.. I figure it wouldn't, but I just want to make sure.

If your PSU is going to be mounted on the bottom of your case that means it will be drawing air from underneath the case.
Depending on the thickness of the carpet, this could interfere with airflow (which is used to cool the PSU) circulation through the PSU..
This also increases the possibility of dust/lint/pet hair being sucked into, and depositing, inside the PSU, which will decrease it's ability to cool the internal components.

If I were going to put it on the carpet, I would place the case on a piece of thin metal/aluminum, or a board/plywood, to keep it off of the carpet, so as not to impede any of the airflow.
Heat, is the killer of electronics.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Just ordered the parts today! And of course, the monitor goes out of stock as soon as I hit the checkout button, but I guess I could just order it later as long as doesn't go up in price.

If your PSU is going to be mounted on the bottom of your case that means it will be drawing air from underneath the case.
Depending on the thickness of the carpet, this could interfere with airflow (which is used to cool the PSU) circulation through the PSU..
This also increases the possibility of dust/lint/pet hair being sucked into, and depositing, inside the PSU, which will decrease it's ability to cool the internal components.

If I were going to put it on the carpet, I would place the case on a piece of thin metal/aluminum, or a board/plywood, to keep it off of the carpet, so as not to impede any of the airflow.
Heat, is the killer of electronics.

It's actually more of a rug.. But if it has problems, I'll be sure to use your suggestion!
Also, are SATA cables included with the optical drive/hard drive, or do I have to order them separate?

EDIT: Well now I see that the optical drive has one included, but I'm still not sure about the hard drive since it is OEM.

Edited by Orange Milk, 26 November 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

OEM will be just the bare drive.
No cables.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users