Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chemtable's Reg Organizer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

I downloaded the trial version of Chemtable's “Reg Organizer”; but I don’t understand how to use it. Does anyone use this program? I ran the first step (i.e. the scan step) of its Automatic Registry Cleanup. Is it safe to allow it to delete all the files it found on this scan step?

Thank you from a registry ignoramus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

If you don't understand how to use this program then it may not be a good idea to use it. Almost any program that makes changes to your registry can cause damage to your system and in your case since your not familiar with the registry, it may be beyond your ability to correct it.

I have not used this particular program so I cannot comment on it. Maybe someone else here will have some comments about it. However, I cannot stress enough that you should ALWAYS back up your registry BEFORE making any changes. An excellent FREE tool to use for doing this is ERUNT.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:14 PM

Just to echo, quietman7.

I don't know your level of expertise, so please heed this warning:

If you aren't absolutely, positively, sure about what you are doing in the registry, STAY OUT!!!
The relatively minor benefits to cleaning up your registry, are far outweighed, by the potential damage you can do your computer.
"Fixing" something in the registry, that shouldn't be "fixed", is the quickest way there is, to turn your computer into a doorstop.

If you do insist on using a registry cleaner, by all means, backup the Registry first.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

I used ERUNT to back up my registry so at least I won't keep adding dead entries in the future!

Thanks for your help.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

Next to my pet peeve (networking), the registry is the deepest sort of black magic in Windows! :thumbsup:

Seriously, the registry is so darned complicated that there's ton's of books and programs out there that pretend to be the be-all and end-all of registry experts.

There's an excellent book on the registry available from Microsoft called "Windows Registry Guide, 2nd Edition" written by Jerry Honeycutt. It's incredibly detailed and complex - yet it barely scratches the surface of the registry.

Schedule ERUNT to backup your registry daily - and keep a few on hand just in case (the readme has details on this).

Use Total Uninstall to monitor all of the changes to your system during an installation (files and registry additions, deletions, and changes). Then, use it to uninstall the program. Anything left is documented for you so that you can remove it manually. This is so much better than the built in Microsoft program that I paid for the shareware version!!! I install a lot of programs while trying to help folks out - and it would really mess my system up after a while of doing this. With Total Uninstall the system remains stable!

Last Freeware version is here: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html
Shareware version is here: http://www.martau.com/

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2005 - 06:28 PM.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users